The Journey

Having left the states One week ago we're getting closer and closer to our destination. I start to hear the rotary blades spinning above the boat I can feel the salty water on my skin, now, more than ever. I closed my eyes to get one last feeling of the wind before stepping onto the aircraft. This man with a helmet and big goggles pulls me up and is helping other people onto the aircraft. I began to sit on these netted seats and waited for everyone else to get on. We were all so nervous to leave. A couple guys have already puked. I reckon I should be more nervous right now too. For some reason I feel calm. I imagine myself sitting on the front porch swing where the air is sweet from the wild honeysuckles, the sun is warm and all I can hear is the sound of birds far away in the trees.
I bring myself back to the present with the sound of air blowing out my ears as we take off. I can't tell if johnson is cold or terrified, but I noticed he's shaking only by the way he's shaking me. I turn to him and he's got his head down whispering something. I'd seen him do this times before. It was always right before he had to do something nerve racking. Like when our drill instructor found someones underwear on the floor and he recognized them as his own. I've always wondered what he's saying. We all go quiet as we try to listen to the sounds machine guns and automatics. It's almost as if it's echoing off the aircraft. I feel us come to a stop and start to lower. The man from before starts yelling and everyone gets up. I can hear the bullets ricotiaing off the sides. I see men jumping off and i can't imagine how far down we have to jump but this bird is still in the air. I watch as people disappear from view and reality sets in. Terrific; It's my turn. without hesitation I jump, expecting 15 maybe 20 feet. It was no more than five. Does this make me airborne?