Devil May Care

Casey walked quickly to the bus stop. The snow crunching below her feet as the snow fell heavily, and with all of the white it was getting pretty hard to see. But she could see the red stop sign with some other kids standing near it.

She noticed one of the tall kids standing there, a boy with dark skin and a black frowhawk with dark brown eyes, he was wearing a black sweater with a red scarf with white gloves and light blue skinny jeans and some black with white striped Adidas.
There was another kid standing next to him, above average height, their hair was striped and died with all the different shades of blue and pale skin with Amber eyes, they wore white earmuffs and a baggy black hoodie with black ripped jeans and white Vans.
She smiled cause she knew who they were immediately. The two Skylar and Michael turned to Casey's direction and waved, Casey waved back and moved a little faster.

Once she reached the two of them, her hands in her pockets, she said "I hope your guy's morning is better than mine so far."

"It's good so far, it's just cold!" Michael said, with his scarf wrapped around his mouth and nose while he rubbed his arms.

"The heater in my house doesn't work so Mr. Cooper is letting me stay with him. Honestly it's quite nice in his place for an old guy like him." Skylar said, their eyes narrowed in on Casey's face, noticing that her left cheek was red and had a slight scratch on it while the other was just pink from the cold. They looked up at Michael who seemed to have noticed the difference as well. Skylar stepped close and held out her arms and waited, Casey stared for a second but reached out and hugged her as Skylar hugged back. Michael stared at the two of them before wrapping his own arms around both of them in a big hug.

They stayed still like that for a minute or two before finally letting each other go. Casey had let out some final tears during the hug and her skin burned from the feeling. Skylar brought their hand up and wiped her tears off with their sleeve and rubbed her face a little roughly. They weren't the best at comforting but they knew what to do.

"What happened?" Skylar asked, "How much does it hurt?" Michael asked, Casey was silent for a second as she saw the bus pulling up down the street. "You left your cigarettes in my mom's car Sky, and Syanna doesn't believe me that I don't smoke so now I have to take a lung scan later today. And then we started arguing and she smacked the shit out of me, and I accidentally punched my dad instead of her. He didn't want us to fight but we did anyway and he got hurt from it. From me..."

"Hey, don't blame yourself. Listen, your step mom is an ass and I have no idea why your dad's even with her, but I think he just wants things to get better again." Michael said to which Skylar added "Yeah, unlike my parents your's care. You know it was an accident and I'm sure he knows too. Take it from me, I've beaten up a few good people both on purpose and by accident not knowing they were actually good people. So I get what you're feeling." The bus pulled up to their stop and let out a screech as it stopped moving and the doors opened. "But don't beat yourself over it, it'll consume you forever if you don't at least try to let go."

Skylar smiled at Casey before turning on their heal and headed towards the bus. "Now come on, I'm pretty sure we have gym today." Michael motioned for Casey to come on and she followed them along with the other few kids there onto the bus. They got on and walked down the narrow pathway and passed some of the kids that were already on the bus. The three made their way to a few seats away from the back of the bus, where they normally sit.

When Michael sat down and he removed his scarf from his nose and mouth, cupping his hands and blowing into them for warmth. Skylar sat down behind him and pulled out their phone, typed in their password and just sat there quietly. Casey sat across from both of them, she didn't want to think about this morning's events but avoiding the thought made her brain go foggy and it hurt. "Hey Michael, how bad does it look?" She asked, pointing at her left cheek.
Michael looked over and stared at the mark on her face for a minute. "Well it doesn't look too bad, kinda like you got too close to a cat. But you should go see the nurse just in case." Casey sighed in some relief while Skylar sat up, remembering something they forgot to mention as they stared at their phone.