Part Four

Being friends with Dean Winchester is more complicated than I anticipated. Not only do I have zero experience having friends in general, but he attracts a lot of unwanted attention. As it turns out, despite me not paying that much interest to him in the first place, Dean is considered part of the popular kids. Not as in the stellar golden boy that Fred is, but as in bad boy vibes type of guy. He drives a cool car, flirts with girls, and doesn't care about school. Or at least, that's the image that he gives, since I've come to realize reality is much more complicated.

On the other side of the hall, some teens are laughing with each other. The bell for the next period is about to ring, and yet they don't seem to care about it. I've never really stopped to stare at the different social cliques.

No matter if they're nerds, artistry, or the coolest, they all share one thing in common that Lily and I never had. They are ordinary, free of supernatural fears and emotional trauma. At least, life and death trauma. They're human, and they can have their happy apple pie life if they wish to. Normal childhood, adulthood, and in between. I've never wanted that for myself before, or maybe I've never thought about it in the first place.

Life as a hunter isn't so bad, or at least not when that's the only thing you've been raised to do. I've always liked living on the road, or at least learned to bear it. Being friends with Dean Winchester has shown me a new side of life. It's been a while since I last let myself actually bond with anyone but my mother and sister. On top of that, someone normal like him. It's a nice change, and these past weeks of friendship have been worth it. But I also resent our bond. I feel like I'm letting my guard down, letting myself be swayed by the possibilities of settling down in one place. Elena clearly stated that we would only remain here for a few months. Eventually, we're going to leave this place, just like all the ones before.

"... at seven and then we'll head to the party. Be ready, ok?" Dean grabs my arm to get my attention.

"What?" I look back at him.

Dean furrows his brows and follows my line of sight to the gossip students. "Have you been listening to me?" He doesn't seem angry, just amused.

"No, sorry, I was just-" How could I explain my line of thought to a normal guy like him? "Looking around?" Dean isn't convinced, but he doesn't pry.

"Alright, well, I was telling you that I'll pick you up from your place at seven."

Why do I have a feeling that I'm missing part of the conversation? "What for?"

Dean gives me a cheeky smile. "For the party, of course."

I can't hide the groan that leaves my throat. Our friendship not only consists of me giving him hunter-related lessons, but also of him teaching me how to be an average teenager. Dean Winchester wasn't only eager to learn about monsters -especially how to kill them- but also to teach me about the normal world. He took it upon himself to let me know the ups and downs of high school, underage drinking, and pie. The only thing he seemed to be failing to do was convince me to go to a party.

"I told you I'm not that interested in dancing with sweaty teens," I complain.

Dean is quick to rebut, "and I told you, you don't need to dance. I don't." He says as if it makes things so much better.

"I just don't see the appeal of partying..."

"That's just because you haven't been to one. Come on," Dean murmurs my name softly, and I don't have it in me to deny him any longer.

"Fine." He hears the defeat in my voice. "But you're not leaving me alone to hook up with some girl, deal?"

Dean Winchester chuckles as he places an arm around my shoulders, clearly happy with my response. "As if I could leave you for another girl."