Part Six

The weather is freezing, but I don't complain as Dean drives through the streets of Lawrence. The Impala doesn't have a heater, and it's a shame, though it beats walking 5 miles up to Carl Mason's house. The way there is mostly quiet, we don't talk about the kiss or what needs to be done. His gaze is focused on the road, and my head is too preoccupied with what to ask the police officer. I have no idea how he seems to be connected to my father's case. Yet I know there must be something he can tell me, judging by my mother's interest in him.

Maybe Dean was right and I jumped too soon at the opportunity to learn more about this. Should I just drop my father's name to Carl? Or should I dive into the existence of the supernatural? Either of those things sounds scary enough. Perhaps, the scariest part is to actually learn what killed my father all those years ago. I didn't think this through, but it's too late to go back now. And even if I dare, as I told Dean, Elena would never allow us to accompany her next time.

"Are you ok?" Dean's question pulls me out of my thoughts. He quickly looks my way. "You seem awfully quiet for a girl on a mission."

How do I tell Dean that I've got a bad feeling about this? "Yeah, just thinking." I don't say anything else, and he keeps driving to our destination. It takes another 15 minutes to finally get to Carl's house.

The man leaves up a hill on the outskirts of town. There's not much to see in the surroundings, and there's no way to get there unnoticed considering that the Impala is the only car besides the pickup truck on the driveway.

"Do you have any idea how you wanna tackle this?" Dean asks the question I don't know how to answer.

"Not really, let's- let's just ask him about his job with your dad first," I respond hesitantly. "He might tell us more if he knows you're his ex-boss son."

My friend doesn't look convinced. "Or he might tell us less."

"I guess, but there's only one way to find out." I step out of the Impala with as much confidence as I can muster. Dean follows shortly after. The wind is even cooler outside the car, and I shiver involuntarily. I suppose I should have brought a jacket with me, but I forgot it at the Winchester home.

"Here," Dean says as he hands me his jacket. I hesitate before taking it. When I do, he smiles at me and helps me put it on. I don't need his aid to do so, I allow it because it's nice to -as bad as it sounds- have his hands on me. It reminds me of the kisses that we've shared.

"Thanks," I murmur. Just as I begin to slip away from him, Dean holds my face between his hands. His green eyes travel to my lips, and I try not to do the same. I fail miserably. They look so inviting, it's a task in itself not to fall into temptation.

"Whatever he tells you, or doesn't tell you, don't forget I'm here with you." I nod and we approach the door.

The home is old and kind of unkept, I would almost believe no one is living here if it weren't for the car and noises coming from the inside. It sounds as if Carl Mason is moving furniture around. Dean and I share a glance as we climb up the porch's steps. We knock on the door and the noises instantly cease. For a few seconds, nothing happens. It's unclear, but Carl seems to be pretending no one is home.

I knock again, "Mr. Mason, we know you're in there." The noises resume. "We just want to ask you some questions."

It takes Carl Mason another minute of moving stuff around before he finally comes to the door. I don't know what I was expecting, but a smiling man wasn't it. The ex-cop looks clean, refreshed, and very willing to hear our request. "Hey there! So sorry for the delay, but I'm in the middle of some... house renovation." He opens the door wider to let us in. "Come on in, you said you wanted to ask some questions, right?"