lovelorn (f)

You aren't saying you're in love with me
But you're going to
Half awake
Taking your chance

Third Person POV

The house is crowded. Filled to the brim of random people, most Darryl has never even met. The only reason he's here is because of Zak.

Zak has been Darryl's best friend for years. Even though Zak is a year younger, they've maintained a pretty close friendship all throughout high school. Even though they're opposites, the two somehow find a way to balance each other out.

Now Darryl is slipping past people, it's dark outside, and yelling can be heard over the loud rap music. Chatter and conversation is ringing through Darryl's ears as he tries to find his friend. The bright and neon party lights flash in Darryl's eyes. This is why he doesn't go to parties.

He spots Zak at the far end of the living room, sitting on a couch surrounded by a bunch of girls. Zak runs a hand through his black and silky hair as he turns his head towards a brunette girl with a shimmery black cocktail dress. The girl laughs at Zak's joke, and Darryl looks at her. She's beautiful. Fresh makeup, dress form fitting, hair wavy and long against her back, gold jewelry complimenting her amber eyes, and silver heels matching her dress.

Darryl rolls his eyes when she brushes Zak's spiky hair towards the other side of his face, and Zak leans into her touch. He can't stand this. Darryl lets out a deep sigh and swishes the Coke in his red solo cup—he wasn't one to drink.

He takes a sip and walks over to Zak before the pretty girl can say or do anything else to his best friend. Unlike Darryl, she seemed confident in her obvious flirting.

"Darryl! I'm glad you came!" Zak breaks his gaze with the girl and looks up at Darryl, smiling. Darryl can't help but stare at his friend. He's wearing a white button up, black pants, and black shoes. The silver necklace he usually wears is strung across his neck. Between the girl and Zak, Darryl doesn't know who's prettier.

"Hey, Zak," Darryl stands there awkwardly, holding the cup. Zak moves and pats the cushion next to him. Darryl steps over the granite coffee table and sits down next to the younger. He's so close, and Darryl swears he can see a spark in Zak's dark eyes.

"This is Maddie," Zak gestures towards the brunette girl, and a fake smile plasters across her face. She greets Darryl and turns towards Zak again.

"This is Darryl, he's my best friend. How was the drive over?" The raven haired boy puts an arm around Darryl.

"It was good." Darryl smiles and moves his own brown hair out of his face. Maddie picks up her own cup and the loud clink of her nails against the glass is heard. The other girls get up and walk away as soon as the two boys start talking. But, Maddie stays.

She twirls a strand of her hair in her hand, and smiles at Zak with her pearly white teeth. Darryl thinks it's crazy how one person could have so many perfect qualities.

"Do you wanna- hey, uh, Darryl, could you give us some privacy?" Maddie turns towards Darryl, who's surprised at her words. Why should she get to have privacy with Zak? After all, Darryl was confident that the girl had just met Zak. What did they even need privacy for?

Darryl looks at Zak, who holds his grip on the brown haired boy tighter. Zak squeezes his friend's shoulder and smiles at Maddie. She seems to have an impatient look on her face.

"We'll be right back, Darryl. Come on." Zak gets up off of the leather couch and Maddie leads him through the midst of the crowd towards the back porch of the house. As they get up, Darryl notices an obvious height difference between them. Maddie is a lot shorter than the black haired boy. For some reason, that gets on Darryl's nerves, but he doesn't know why.