Frightened Tiffany

Luckily, Calum was too busy with other patients for the remainder of the day and as soon as my IV was finished, I was discharged. Melissa was discharged mere minutes after me, and we were free to go home.

Tiffany (whose name I remember now) rambles the entire way back to the orphanage about how a doctor Ashton made them feel comfortable the entire time and Melissa didn't even cry once when he did her stitches. He even gave them lollipops and then he gave Tiffany his business card for when they might need help or just someone to talk to.

Arriving home, Tiffany helps me make dinner for all the kids and I have to say I am quite grateful.

The next few days, the kids and I actually get to know each other better, and I even start to like them a little bit more than before.

It's now been 2 weeks and miss Rachel still hasn't returned. There isn't much money left for me to buy food for the kids and I, and we have to ration everything very carefully. Luckily, they still have food in their tummies every night and never go to bed or school hungry. I on the other hand – I'm struggling.

At the beginning of the week, I started going back to school and it was hell. Trying to catch up on everything I missed already seems impossible – now add 12 kids, whom I have to help with homework, and "fostering" into the mix. It's impossible.

Then to top it all off, I barely have time to eat and even if I did have time to eat there wouldn't be anything to eat, because I'm saving everything for the kids. I've even started using the little bit of money I had saved up (for the end of next year when I'd be able to leave the orphanage) to buy them food.

Making my way out of school, I feel a little dizzy as I rush to get all the kids from their school on time and take them home. They have been helping me clean a bit around the house, but most of the cleaning still fell in my hands and weighed down on my shoulders.

I seriously don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to survive like this. If it wasn't for the kids, I'd have run away already.

"Alright, everyone please go do your homework. If you need help, just come find me, but please try it by yourself first, or talk it out amongst each other."

Making my way to the kitchen, I quickly do this morning's dishes and then I start preparing the dinner. I take a tin of baked beans out of the cupboard and mix it in a saucepan with sliced pieces of the last tomato and onion we have. While I let that simmer on the stove, I pop 6 pieces of white bread into the toaster – each kid gets half a slice of toast and then I immediately make them go to bed, before they can realize that they're actually still hungry.

Another dizzy spell washes over me and I realize I haven't eaten anything in the last 48 hours.

I'll eat a little bit of the baked bean concoction, that should do the job.

When the toast is finished, I cut each slice into two equal squares and spoon some baked bean mixture onto it, leaving two tablespoons in the saucepan for me.

"Dinner's ready!" I call out to the kids. Quickly finishing setting up the table, I make my way to my dinner, when black spots starts to appear in my vision.

I need to eat something before I pass out.

"What's for dinner, Jany?" Tiffany is the first to enter the kitchen, but she stills when she sees me.

"Jany, you're pale. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, just need to sit down for a bit."

I stumble to a kitchen chair and feel Tiffany's hand clasp around my forearm, helping me to it.