3 Danielle's P.O.V.

I wake up. Today is family day. I've waited weeks for this. My final goodbye to Eric. I grab Eric's gift. I am wearing my light blue crop top and white skirt. I realize that its Eric's favorite on me. I grab my bag and walk downstairs. I see his mom. She asks if I am ready. I nod and we get into her car. God I'm nervous. After a couple of hours, we pull into the Dauntless compound. We get out and I bite my lip. We follow the families walking in. I see Eric talking with another initiate. His mom goes to him. I follow quietly. His eyes bore into mine.

"Hi Eric," I say.

"Hey Dani. Long time no see," he says.

"Yeah, so I wanted to give you this. And say goodbye forever. I'm not going to wait for you and know you will never be back. Goody bye Eric," I say.

"Dani, please don't do this. I love you," he says.

"If you loved me, you wouldn't have left me," I say tears starting to fall down my face.

"It's better this way Dani. You can do better without me holding you back," he says.

I shake my head. I am ready to go. I don't want to be here anymore. I walk out and go to his mother's car. I sit in the passenger seat. I'm done with him. I am brave enough to live without him. I have too. After a little bit, Eric's mom walks out. She gets in and drives me home. I go to my room. I get ready for the formal tonight. My focus has to stay on Ian. I fix my makeup. Mom steamed my beautiful light blue dress.

"Ian is here Danielle," my mom says.

"Okay," I say as I zip my dress up.

I put my heels on and walk downstairs. Ian's mouth drops when he sees me.

"What? Do I look bad," I ask nervously.

"No, you look so beautiful," he says.

I blush bright red. I grab my cluch and mom starts taking pictu res. After about twenty minutes, we get into his car. He drives to the school and I see a bunch his friends. We get out and he holds my hand. His friends say hi and I wave. We all walk in and me and Ian go to a table.

"So, Ian, why the sudden intrest in me," I ask.

"I liked you before. But you were always with that guy," Ian says.

"Ah, you mean Eric. Yeah, I only was close with him because I was scared of high school. That must be why no one talked to me," I say and he nods.

After a little while, me and Ian go dance. It's nice being held by someone who isn't going to just up and leave. A slow song plays and Ian holds me closer. Eric never held me this close. I hope Ian isn't one of those guys that just wanna get into my skirt. If he is, then I will leave him quickly. I don't need that in my life. After the song, I get thirsty. I go get a cup of punch. I bring one to Ian as well.

"So Ian, are you positive you want me as your girlfriend? I mean, there's prettier girls, smarter girls, even funnier girls then me," I say.

"Yes, I am sure. Danielle, Your ahead of your class. I mean you are choosing with my year. Why would I want someone who thinks they know everything because they are at the top of there year. I want someone that can relate to me and I can still protect and fall in love with," he says smoothly.

I forgot I get to have my choosing ceremony a year early. Tomorrow we are all doing a pre-aptitude test. Just to see where we might get placed. After the formal is over, Ian drives me home. When we get to my house I smile.

"I had a great time tonight Ian," I say.

"Me too Dani. Can I call you that? Any how, if I cant, then I wont. Are you ready for the aptitude test thing tomorrow," Ian asks.

"You can call me Dani and yeah. I'm ready. Anyways, I am going to go in now. After a Quick picture," I say and get my camera out.

I take the picture and he kisses my cheek. I get out of his car and go into my house. I put the picture on my printer, and I make Ian a copy. I make him a copy of the pictures my mom took. I change into my pajamas and get into bed. Tonight was amazing. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

*THE NEXT DAY*

I wake up and get a text from Ian.  He wants to know if I'll go to a party with him tonight. I respond saying I'll let him know later. I get ready for school. I grab my bag. Maybe I will go tonight. I walk downstairs and see my mom.

"Mom, can I go to a party with Ian tonight? I won't be out tolong and I will follow your rules about drinking. I intend to stay sober and if I need you, I will call you. I promise," I say.

"As long as you're back by ten. No later Danielle. I mean it," she says.

"Thanks mom. I love you," I say and grab a banana.

I text Ian that I'll go and I have to be home by ten. I can't wait for tonight. I haven't been to a lot of parties. I've always been too shy. But this is a new me. One that is coming to the light. One that can talk and speak her mind. No longer will I be afraid to do anything. Not even be a little reckless. I have been getting straight A's in school so I think I can blow off some steam. I go to the gym more. More than I did with Eric at least. I still and always will be a book nerd. Something I will never grow out of. My dad got me into books at a young age and I was always one grade ahead of kids my age. Soon, I'll be free to choose my new life.