5 Danielle's P.O.V.

It's been a couple of months without Eric. I am happy. Me and Ian broke up. He only wanted to get into my skirt. I figured that out at the party we went to last week. I have higher standards that him. Eric never tried to make me put out.  Cheer leading tryouts for next year were held last week as well. I became the head cheerleader at school and now I make my way through the halls and people actually listen to me. On top of being head cheer leader, I am also the president of the book club, glee club, and the lead in the musical. my schedule has been crazy. It's also really fun and a good way to meet new people. Summer is almost here. After that I will only have two years before I can get out of here. We are taking another aptitude test tomorrow. I get Dauntless every time. I am braver now. I've also gotten stronger. I spend hours at the gym. I get home after practice and mom smiles.

"You got a letter today. It's from Dauntless," she says.

I nod and grab it. I got to my room and sit on my bed. I open the letter and see It's from Eric.

Dear Dani,

I messed up when I left. Your all I think about. I miss you and wish I could see you. How are you and Ian? Has he proven himself an asshole yet? Also I read the books you gave me. I am buying some more but I will be sending you some in the next couple of days. We might not be dating anymore, but I still wanna be friends. I gotta go. Training starts in a while.

~E

I sit at my desk and write him a letter back.

Dear Eric

I want to be your friend too. I mean, that's how we have been right? Anyways, Ian and I broke up. He only wanted sex. I am head cheerleader now. We have a practice aptitude test tomorrow. I'll get you some more books when I get them. I hope everything is going good for you. Isn't phase one of initiation almost done with there? I hope you pass it. I have homework so I'll write again later.

~Dani

I put it in an envelope and fill it out. I quickly put it into the mailbox and go back to my room. I do my homework. I finish as mom calls me for dinner. I go downstairs. I sit at the table and eat.

"So I wanna keep you till you are originally supposed to leave but I promised to let you do your choosing ceremony at seventeen. Dani, don't make me regret this," mom says.

"I wont mom. I have an early day tomorrow so I'mma go to bed. Night mom," I say.

"Night sweetie," she says.

I set my alarm after I get changed. I have a game tomorrow, so I want to go to the gym in the morning. I remember working out with Eric a lot. Now I work out alone. I know what faction I am going to choose in three years. This is a new me. I have come out of my shell that I feel Eric kept me in. The school bully, Katlynn, keeps saying I shouldn't have the privileges I do. I have them because I work hard. I'll stop by the bookstore tomorrow and buy some more books for me and Eric. During the initiation of Erudite, I helped my mom out. Three more years and I'll be free from this nerdy hell.  I start heading to the theater for rehearsal.  We have four more practices before the shows. This new me is the one I like. It's not fully me yet though. I am bolder and more daring from what I was. I have taken about four practice aptitude tests. All the tests keep saying I'm Dauntless. 

Maybe I am Dauntless, but I won't let Eric, or my mother know. She thinks I'm going to stay.  I started listening to a song by Alexander Stewart. It's called "I Wish You Would Have Cheated". It kind of relates to me and Eric. In some sense, I wish he did cheat. But the past is the past. He's gone and so is the girl everyone else knew me as with him is gone to. I am still a little naive but not like I was. When I reach the field, the others say hi.

"Okay, so we will be working on doing a simple pyramid today. Nate, Bart, Matt, and Nick you will brace the bottom row. Katie, Jazmine, Mandy, and Kayla, you all will be held by them. Crystal and Maria, you will be held by the girls as you guys will be the top," I say.

Everyone gets into their positions I gave them. Once the pyramid is complete, I take a picture. They dismount and we take a squad selfie. No way I would ever trade this squad for anything. We take the picture. I will have to make a copy for everyone when I get home. After practice is over, Matt gives me a ride home. I thank him and go inside.

"Danielle, you got a package. I set it on your bed," my mom says.

"Thanks mom," I say and run to my room.

I see a letter attached to the package.

Dear Dani,

I think you will like these. The books you sent me were amazing. I need some more. Try to get some mystery ones too. I like them. Don't forget to take a breather from time to time. I'll be waiting for my package of books from you.

~E

Awe. Eric liked them. I get his package together and write a letter to go with the books. I hope he will like them. I read them when I bought them. I address them and put the package in the mailbox. I do my homework. I know mom will have me planning the celebration for the end of initiation. That means I will be singing. I am not shy about my voice. I sang at the midway celebration this year.  I hope Eric has made at least one person there he can trust. It's good still having him as a friend.