Chapter 4

BADA

"Get your hands off her-now!" I declared, my voice steady with determination.

The room grew hushed as all eyes turned toward the escalating confrontation.

The tension in the air was palpable as the man regarded me with a mixture of defiance and uncertainty. I kept myself between him and Audrey, silently communicating that I would not back down. The situation seemed to hang in the balance, the weight of our confrontation heavy in the air.

"Stay behind me, Audrey," I instructed with unwavering firmness.

The menacing figure sneered, his tone dripping with contempt, "At sino ka naman ha? Pakialamera!"

"I'm someone who won't stand by and watch you harm her," I shot back, my resolve undeterred.

But before the situation could escalate further, the commotion drew the attention of security personnel, who swiftly intervened, diffusing the tension and leading the menacing figure away. With the immediate threat removed, Audrey's shoulders relaxed slightly, and a sense of relief washed over me.

Turning to Audrey, I placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and asked, "Are you okay, Audrey?" My tone was gentle yet firm, reflecting my genuine concern. Audrey hesitated for a moment before nodding, "Yes, I'm okay po. Thank you, Professor Lee."

"Do you need a ride home? I can take you," I offered, my concern evident in my voice.

After a brief moment of hesitation, Audrey agreed. "Magpapaalam lang po ako," she said.

"Sige na, Audrey. Ipagpapaalam ka na lang namin," one of her co-dancers said.

"Thank you," she said softly, her emotions still evident from the recent commotion.

I quickly excused myself from my friends, who stood nearby looking puzzled by my sudden departure. Noze and Haechi exchanged confused glances, but I didn't have time to explain.

As we walked, we attempted to shift our focus away from the recent events with light conversation.

Once inside the car, I started the engine and pulled out of the parking lot. The tension of the earlier confrontation lingered in the air, but I did my best to provide a sense of comfort and safety for Audrey during the drive.

Upon reaching Audrey's home, I parked the car and turned to her. "Are you sure you'll be alright?" I asked with genuine concern. Audrey nodded, offering a small but grateful smile. "Thank you, Professor Lee. I really appreciate your help today," she said softly.

"Can I have your number? Just so I can check in and make sure you're alright?"

After she gave me her number, I bid her goodnight and watched as she entered her home. As I drove away, I couldn't shake off the lingering unease from the encounter earlier. However, I knew that Audrey was safe for the time being, and that brought some measure of peace.

---

AUDREY

As I stood on the stage, basking in the warm glow of the audience's applause, a sense of exhilaration coursed through me. The familiar rush of adrenaline accompanied by the joy of performing had enveloped me, casting a radiant light upon my spirit. As I finished my solo performance and was about to head backstage, a chilling presence disrupted the euphoric atmosphere. A menacing figure cast a shadow, and fear tightened in my chest as he directed threatening gestures at me.