No Words

Draco still had so many questions, but he could not get a single one out of his mouth. He visited with his mother three days after meeting with Hermione, which he was pleased about. He was sitting in the same room he met with Hermione in, with his mother in front of him; neither was locked to the table, which they were both happy about.

"Draco, dear, you will not believe who came to see me yesterday, I was shocked." Draco looked expectantly at his mother, waiting for her to continue, "Miss. Hermione Granger." Draco's eyes widen in surprise. 

"Why, mother?" He asked because it certainly couldn't be for the same reason she had seen him, could it?

"She is going to be my lawyer; she plans to help me get out of here." Draco couldn't believe his ears. Did she say what he thinks she said? Hermione was helping not only him but also his mother. 

"Mother, she came to see me too, just the day before you; she is my lawyer, too." His mother's eyes also widen at this news. She was so glad that her son would be getting help to be a free man; they could go home and make it better than it was. It could actually be a home. 

Narcissa Malfoy never cried in front of her son, but just then, she did; she never thought she could be happy again. She lost her husband, and she thought she would lose her son too, but that didn't seem like the case; they may go home together and be a family, even if it is just the two of them. 

Draco never saw his mom cry, but somehow, he knew these were not tears of sadness but the opposite; she was happy, and so was he. But he also had so many questions, so many things he wanted to say to the girl who was making it her mission to save him and his mother. 

In a week's time, he would see her again and tell her all he felt, the happiness he thought he would never feel again, the gratefulness he felt that she was helping his mother. He would say it all.  

~~~

He couldn't say anything. He didn't know what to say. He was at a loss for words. He wanted to thank her; he wanted to hug her, but he couldn't. All he could do was think of the words he wanted to say, but they didn't sound right in his head; they didn't mean enough for what he needed to say. He kept thinking and thinking, but his mind was blank. Suddenly, he heard a snapping and saw a hand in front of his face, which startled him back into reality. 

"Draco, are you with me? Did you hear anything I just said?" It was Hermione; when had she gotten here? Had she been here this whole time he'd been debating with himself? "Have I lost you again?" 

"I'm here." He said even though he wasn't, he couldn't get away from trying to find the words. 

"Really, because it seems like you are thinking pretty hard there." She let out a little laugh. Trying to lighten the mood because he seemed a little tense, she also thought he might not be sleeping well, and that was another reason he wasn't all here. 

He just nodded his head, still unable to find any words other than ones with one syllable. 

"Ok, well, if you really are, your trial is tomorrow, so we need to ensure the plan is good. Also, do you have a suit to wear? You're going to need one. Also, you will need to get cleaned up." She said, trying not to sound rude. He didn't take it as a rude comment because he knew it was true.  

"Um, I think I have one, and I plan to clean up in the morning before being escorted out." He said with a nod, indicating that he indeed did have a suit. 

"Good, there are a few people testifying for you, so I think we have a good case, and the trial shouldn't last too long. If anything, you'll be out in a week's time. I also do hope you get some sleep tonight, and we are going to have a long day tomorrow," She says with a small smile; she was truly hoping that this trial would only last a day or so; the sooner he was out, the better.

"Sure, because sleeping in a cell is easy." He said with annoyance. Hermione winced at the tone, figuring that was definitely the problem here today.

"Look, I am trying to help you, it doesn't help that you have barely put in any sort of input these last two meetings. So don't get all sassy with me; I am just trying to help you." Hermione said, placing her arms over her chest crossed. Draco sighed and muttered an apology; really, he wasn't angry with her but more the fact that he didn't know what to say to her. This is the girl he supposedly hated for all his years at Hogwarts; what does one say to a person they bullied for 6 years?

Hermione started talking again about the facts, "So our main point will be that in the end, you helped Harry, and after realizing he was still alive, you threw him your wand so he could beat Voldemort. After that, Harry will go up and testify, saying that this is the truth; Ginny said she is going to testify as a witness to that." Draco nodded as she spoke. "So that covers it today, I will see you tomorrow, bright and early so we can review once more." 

She started to gather her things and stood from the table. She waited a second to see if he would say anything, but when he didn't, she just shook her head and walked out the meeting room door. After the door closed, Draco whispered, 

"Thanks, Granger," Other than that, he had no words.