The Trial and Ruling

Draco was now seated in the middle of the big room, while Hermione was standing near the podium where the judge would sit. She was surprised to see so many people there, as it was originally supposed to be the judge and jury, plus a couple of people testifying. 

So she was confused by the rows and rows of others, that was till she saw Ron sitting in the front row. Of course, he would talk. Hermione just hopes that this won't affect the trial. she takes a quick glance at Draco, who is already looking at her; she smiles and nods, trying to tell him that it's gonna be ok. 

"Miss. Granger, you are Mr. Malfoy's lawyer, is that correct?" The woman who asked was old and had gray hair and light wrinkles all over her face; she also wore a pair of plain black robes.

"Yes, ma'am," Hermione stated. The judge looks over at Draco and nods; Hermione knows that this means the trial has officially started. Draco was still watching Hermione, so he had not seen the older witch indicating the start. So Hermione began, 

"Your honor, Draco Malfoy is here today because of some questionable things he did in order to survive the war. Today, we want to show the jury that he was doing all he could in order to keep him and his family alive." Hermione had been here before and her voice rose slightly to make sure everyone could hear her in the room. Hermione also knew that this was by far her hardest case. 

"Mr. Malfoy, a few questions first, is it true that you used all the unforgivable curses during the war?" 

"Yes"

"Did you also let the Death Eaters into Hogwarts via a vanishing cabinet?" 

"Yes"

"You also let the Dark Lord use your home as a base of operations?"

"Yes." Draco just wanted to get to the part where they talked about the good things he did.

"ok, Miss. Granger, you may take the case by asking questions and allowing your witnesses to testify." The older witch said Hermione opened her folder to see who she marked as first. 

"We have two witnesses that wish to testify; the first is Harry Potter." As soon as the name left her mouth, the people in the gallery started to whisper and gasp; from the corner of her eye, Hermione could see Ron stand and storm from the room. 

"Mr. Potter, if you will." The whispers quieted down because everyone wanted to know what the "savior" was going to say. 

"Thank you, ma'am."

"If you would recount to us the day of the battle and how it was that you were able to win," Hermione said while moving to stand near Harry, who had been at the other end of the room.

"Yes, well, I had died." He said as if it was nothing out of the ordinary, and Hermione had to stifle her laugh with her hand. "Hagrid had brought me back, Neville had made his speech, which is when I figured I should show that I was indeed not dead. As I moved, I heard from the crowd that Draco had called me and was throwing his wand my way. If he had not done this, then I am sure the war would have ended very differently." 

Hermione smiled as the judge looked at Draco and said, "Is this true, Mr. Malfoy?" 

"Yes, your honor." He said, letting out a breath he was holding in. Had he thought Harry wouldn't tell the truth? 

"Alright, Miss. Granger, your next witness please." The judge said. Harry began to move from this seat, and Ginny took it, getting ready to speak. "Begin." 

"Same statement as Mr. Potter please, recount to us the final moments of the battle." Hermione said as she looked at her best friend. 

"Ok, Harry had jumped from Hagrid's arms, then I saw Draco run forward, I was sure he was going to hurt Harry. But then he tossed his wand to him. Without that, Harry would be dead, and the world would look a lot different." Ginny had turned to Draco at the end and, to Hermione's surprise, smiled at him and said, "So I'm just going to say I think he deserves to be free."

Draco, with wide eyes, smiled back at her; he had a feeling that if he got out, he would have a few friends to help him get back into life. Which is exactly what he was going to need, he had been in Azkaban for a year, he kind of forget some things outside of life. 

"Thank you, Miss. Weasley, but that is for the Wizengamot to decide, you may return to you seat please." Ginny nodded, walked back over to Harry, and sat to his left. "Now, of Miss. Granger would take Mr. Malfoy back to the conference room; the Wizengamot must discuss the ruling. 

Draco stood from his seat and walked with Hermione out of the room. Hermione could hear him, letting out a breath she guessed he had been holding. 

"Granger, what happens if they decide I should stay locked up?" Draco asked with some concern in his voice; he was shaking slightly. Hermione could tell she was scared. She stopped dead in her tracks and looked over at Malfoy; he was so confident before; what happened?

Draco stopped walking after realizing that she wasn't with him anymore, "Granger?" He said as he walked back over to her. 

"Malfoy, I do not think that will happen, but if, and that's a big if, if it does, then I was put in a request for a second trial later, and hopefully, they will reconsider their first choice," Hermione said looking up at him, he didn't look convinced though, he fully believed that he would stay locked away. 

Hermione didn't know what else to say, so she just continued walking down the hall to the conference room. She opened the door, and Narcissa was sitting at the table still; her hands were clasped nicely on the table, but her leg was shaking from anxiety. 

"Oh Draco! Do we know? Are you free? Is it over?" She was frantic and stood rushing over to Draco and placing her hands on his cheeks as best she could with her bound wrists. 

"Mother," Draco said, seeming a tad embarrassed, "No, we don't know yet." He stepped away from his mother, who had dropped her arms in disappointment. Hermione walked over to them and placed a hand on both of their shoulders; this surprised both the Malfoys.

"We'll know soon enough." Hermione said and stepped back from the two before walking to the chair and grabbing a book she had brought with her. She hadn't finished the first page when she felt a presence behind her. She turned her head slightly to see the figure, Narcissa. 

"Dear,  I do not know how I can thank you enough for all you have done for me and my son. I know I said this before, but I truly hope you know how much this means to us both." Hermione blushed a little at the older woman. 

"I do know Mrs. Malfoy, I am truly just doing my job though," Hermione stated before turning back to her book, as Narcissa smiled and walked back over to her son. 

***

An hour later, Hermione was already halfway through her book (she had noticed when she got nervous, she read faster). The door to the meeting room is being opened, and a guard is walking in.

"Time for the vote." He says in a gruff voice before walking back out to the hall. Hermione stands, and so does Draco. They both walk to the door, and Hermione opens it and lets him go first. They walked quietly back to the big room they had been in an hour before. 

Draco sat back in the middle seat, but instead of Hermione standing near the judge's podium, she stood right next to him. Draco didn't realize how much this actually calmed his nerves till the judge called her to the podium. 

There was a light chatter in the room of people placing bets as to what the outcome would be. Will he be sentenced to life? or will he be set free? the chatter stopped when the judge said, 

"Silence; we will let the Wizengamot decide whether Draco Malfoy should be free or locked away. Those in favor of Mr. Malfoy's release?" There was an array of yeses, more than Hermione had thought they would get; it was deafeningly more than half, which meant Draco was a free man.