𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑒 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒𝑑 | 𝑗.𝑚

PAIRING: jj maybank x fem!reader                                                                                                            WARNINGS: jj having a panic attack, reader worrying for jj                                                                      GENRE: flangst.                                                                    SONG INSPIRATION: beneath your beautiful by labrinth                                                                       WORD COUNT: 759

                                                                    SONG INSPIRATION: beneath your beautiful by labrinth                                                                       WORD COUNT: 759

you would say that jj was a very outgoing person, he always had a bright attitude toward everything. he'd been like ever since you were young.

whether it'd be with the way he held himself or how he talked to others, but deep down his insecurities dug deep.

the biggest one of all was looking like his mother, his dad made sure jj knew how much he hated him for it.

it started off with hurtful words that soon turned into cuts and bruises, it had only gotten worse as he grew up.

he'd wince and try and secretly hold his side when he fell a bit too dramatically onto you, not looking you in the eyes as he got up, changing the subject before you could even say anything about it.

you knew him. you knew something wasn't right.

weeks went by and you gave him every opportunity for him to tell you what was really going on, but got nothing in return.

tonight you were supposed to have your movie night, just like you did every friday after school since your parents were at work 'til late, but no. there you sat alone. the most recent message out of five going straight to delivered.

blowing out a defeated sigh, tired of waiting around. you started getting ready for bed, changing into a borrowed sweatshirt that was his and a pair of shorts, sliding under your bed covers.

your head full of worried thoughts as it pressed against your pillow, unlocking your phone for what felt like the hundredth time that evening still not finding any sign of a response.

closing your eyes deciding it was better to sleep early than to overthink.

an hour went by and you lay looking up at your ceiling wide awake, grunting as you chucked the pillow from under your head, over your face.

that's when your phone started to vibrate from beside you. shooting up from under the mountain of blankets, you clicked accept.

"y/n we need your help-- jj just got to the chateau and he's freaking the fuck out can you--?" kiera rambled, with that said you ran out of your house, jumped onto your bike, feet pedaling as fast as they could.

not caring about how the old metal chain was scrapping against your calves. just hoping that he was alright.

you heard the muffled but recognizable yells as you got closer, hearing things being thrown from the other side of the home as you leaned your bike up against the porch fencing.

"c'mon man, you gotta chill out!"

your hands clenched at your sides as you made your way into the house, seeing broken glass everywhere. the shouts getting louder as you carefully shuffled over the debris.

"jay?" that was all it took for everything to stop. a heavy silence hung over the chateau, jj slowly turned to you, his fists uncurled. letting his guard down since it was you.

gasping when you saw his bruised face, rushing over to him hands hovering over his cheeks, not wanting to hurt him. he hadn't made any effort of looking into your eyes, feeling too ashamed of himself. your thumb brushed against his chin, tilting his head toward you, that's when jj broke down.

jj's body slumped into yours, his shoulders shook as you held him, your arms wrapped tightly around him as you stroked the hair that you could reach. his fingers clenched the material of your clothing as he nuzzled his face deeper into the crook of your neck.

"i've got you, it's okay..."

you made eye contact with pope and john, giving them a sad smile and watching them leave you standing in the middle of the messy living room with the broken boy still in your arms.

it was later now and you were cuddled up under jj's arm, laying on his chest as a random movie played in the background. he fell asleep a long time ago, but you continued to trace shapes on his chest.

not being able to sleep, feeling heartbroken after finding out the truth about his dad. blaming yourself for not noticing sooner.

your eyes now filling with tears as you looked up to see how peaceful he looked as he slept. so carefree.

that night you made a promise to him and yourself that you'd protect jj no matter what. not realizing yourself falling even deeper for him.