Chapter 1 - The Unfolding Wings Of The Floating Leaf

Whoosh!

The mountain winds whipped through the wooden beams of the dojo and rustled the hay walls as they passed through. Inside, Master Sorah Kyoshin stood anchored to the ground, unmoved by the roaring gusts. At seventy-six years of age, many assumed Sorah would have long retired by now and pass the dojo onto an heir or successor. But he continued rising with the morning sun each day to train himself and eager students in the art of martial combat.

"Remember, true power comes not from brute force, but fluidity and balance," Master Sorah instructed as he beckoned his pupils forward with a wave of his crooked wooden staff. He wore a simple yellow gi tied with a black belt fraying at the edges, which indicated his mastery status.

Three teenage pupils lined up before him, barefoot on the woven tatami mats: Mari, a short-haired girl bobbing energetically on her heels, lanky pigtailed Meili who preferred to watch quietly from the back, and their unofficial ringleader, a thick-necked boy named Daichi who enjoyed interrupting class to challenge the master's teachings.

"No offence, Master Sorah," Daichi interjected with a dramatic sigh. "But don't you think this 'martial art' stuff is outdated? Nowadays, true power comes from a Disciple's bond with their Titan Avatars."

The other students nodded and murmured in ascent. In their world, Titans were colossal elemental creatures that could be summoned as Avatars to do battle by those with an Affinity. Each nation cultivated specialists with Affinities for one of the five elements — Fire, Water, Earth, Air, and the rare cosmic energy Aether.

Master Sorah frowned, shaking his head. "I have trained many skilled warriors in my day without any Titans or elemental magic involved. Martial arts provides an important foundation before one starts flinging around fire and lightning without discipline!"

Ignoring their master's lecture, the chatter continued amongst his pupils. "Bet I could take you in a fight once I learn how to summon my Fire Titan!" boasted Daichi to Mari.

"Hah! I have a stronger Affinity than you. My Water Titan would crush your newbie Fire Avatar!" Mari taunted back.

"That's enough, you two!" Sorah slammed the base of his staff commanding obedience. "True power does not come from base boasts or the strongest Titan. A Disciple must temper their Affinity with wisdom and—"

Suddenly a loud groan echoed from outside the dojo, followed by the snapping sounds of small trees toppling over. An eight-foot rotund beast came crawling through the hay door frame, bringing with it the pungent aroma of mossy bark. Its long segmented body was supported by hundreds of tiny stubby legs. Two giant mandibles protruded from its head, followed by antennae flickering eagerly.

"WOODWORM!" the three pupils cheered while rushing over to coddle the fat bug. It garbled affectionately at the attention.

"Ah, there's my lazy pet now, right on cue to interrupt this lesson," Sorah chuckled to himself. Despite Woodworm's notoriously sluggish, gluttonous reputation, the master had a soft spot for his rotund pet. After all, what else but a Woodworm could consume all the excess scrap lumber and keep their elevated dojo so tidy?

Daichi patted Woodworm's back carapace, causing it to regurgitate a half-digested log. "Who's a good boy, chopping us firewood?"

"Ugh, disgusting!" Mari gagged, as Meili rolled her eyes but continued gently stroking its antennae.

Master Sorah clapped twice with authority, "Alright, enough distraction. Back to your defensive postures!" The three students quickly bowed apologetically before reforming a line on the mats, imitating Sorah's upright horse stance.

Woodworm warbled softly as it crawled towards its feeding corner and collapsed on a pile of shredded woodchips with a ground-shaking thud. Sorah kept one eye on his pet while walking down the line, adjusting his pupils' elbows and checking their balance.