Chapter 4 - The Four Winds Converge

"Erm..."

Sorah drifted in and out of consciousness; his broken body was barely clinging to life. Through swollen eyelids, he glimpsed the scarred sneer of Colonel Dravenik hovering over him, twin Vad'aaki Blades raised mockingly to deliver the killing stroke. Somewhere beyond the encroaching footsteps, Breeze Plume's agonized wailing pleaded on behalf of the beloved master who had nurtured the Butterfly since it was a vulnerable larvae.

Had fate deemed Sorah unfit to protect Cloud Hamlet despite tireless decades cultivating compassion alongside disciplined fists? What cruel joke or lesson were the ancestors attempting by allowing such gentle spirits to suffer alongside a stubborn fool who had pushed away even his own community? Elder Liu was right to withhold trust in training their village youth when outdated traditions rooted in isolation cultivated weakness unable to stand firm against the gathering storm, as Colonel Dravenik continued mocking amidst the roaring flames.

"Eh, perish you old fool!"

Whoosh!

The executioner's glowing blades began their artistic descent towards Sorah's exposed neck. At long last the winds of destiny would shred his weathered sails into the abyssal currents...

"ENOUGH!!" bellowed an authoritative voice that rattled the very clouds above.

Colonel Dravenik's lunge was knocked violently aside by a brilliant azure flash followed instantly by a piercing clap of thunder. BOOM! The stray energy blast had been deflected barely inches from Sorah's nose by a spinning Light-Chi staff wielded by another Elder Air Elemental Master hurtling from the smoke-filled skies.

Sorah squinted upwards and his heart leapt recognizing annoying Elder Yanluo astride his magnificent Cloud Dragon steed. That pompous blowhard constantly mocked Sorah's Titan-less skills at village gatherings, yet the dojo master had never felt more elated witnessing someone's arrival.

Yanluo's signature techniques involved shaping ambient static charges through Tai Chi movements into defensive barriers or destructive lightning arcs using the elegant Light-Chi Staff engraved with runes. It was rumoured he maintained a secret mountain lair where illegal Thunder Lotus flowers were cultivated to enhance his powers. Many students had petitioned training under Yanluo's notoriety but the selective master accepted only those demonstrating exceptional innate Air affinity that could withstand his intense rituals.

"Curse you Yanluo!" Colonel Dravenik hollered viciously while recalling his Red Sand Cyclonus Titan Avatar to guard against looming thunderheads now gathering above. "Why must the Zephyr Council's elite hunting hounds vex our victory at every pivotal strike?"

Elder Yanluo ignored the threats and deftly dismounted alongside his battle-worn Cloud Dragon. The majestic breed's scales shimmered like pearl, and metallic horns crackling with energy could pierce most armour when diving from the clouds. Yanluo's own ostentatious attire of cerulean and silver robes marked by the Twin Lightning Insignia of Isle Sanctum's royal court only reinforced the outrageous boasts of unmatched storm-weaving skills. Yet Sorah had never felt more grateful at this abrasive showboat's theatricality.

"How... how did you find... no why did you save me, Elder?" Sorah barely wheezed out the question that felt his final utterance clinging at death's door.

"Silence and preserve your strength, Sorah!" Yanluo commanded while twirling his glowing staff casually towards approaching threats. "Our blessed Cloud Dragons are drawn unerringly towards sounds of injustice!"

The airborne cavalry had bought precious time, yet Sorah grimaced as he tallied the obstacles between survival and annihilation. He glanced over towards courageous Breeze Plume who lay pinned grievously near rubble, its left wings shredded by shrapnel from blocking the children earlier. Closer lurked Dravenik's elite mech suits recharging shoulder-mounted pulsars. Sorah's precious students huddled behind the Cloud Butterfly's trembling frame as it valiantly continued shielding their escape. But Elder Yanluo would surely prioritize decimating the largest threats before assessing critical wounds.