1.2

Suddenly, President Coriolanus Snow entered the Hall. Many of the victors just stared in shock. Hadn't Aster killed him?

A piece of parchment floated down from the ceiling and landed in Beetee's lap. He read it aloud, "I will be sending people who have died during the second rebellion. Don't worry, when Coin comes along she'll be bound in chains. Snow will too. Lady Hecate."

Less than 10 seconds later, Snow was shoved into a chair and bound in chains. Johanna took the opportunity to get some mouldy fruit (summoned by Sirius) and pelt it at him along with some cutlery knives.

-----

SCENE CHANGES TO THE TOWN SQUARE - THE REAPING

Another whistle blows, then the scene changes to the three sisters walking to the crowd of The Reaping. Primrose sees a line of girls preparing to get their blood drawn, and she begins to hyperventilate.)

Katniss: "Shh. Shh. Prim, Prim, it's okay. It's okay. Shh. Okay, it's time to sign in now. Okay, they're gonna prick your finger to take just a little bit of blood."

Primrose: "You didn't say-"

Aster: "I know. It doesn't hurt much. Just a little. Okay? Go sit down there with the little kids. We'll find you after, okay?"

Peacemaker Woman: "Next."

(The Peacemaker draws blood from Primrose.)

Peacemaker Woman: "Go ahead. Next."

Peacemaker Woman: "Next."

(Katniss and Aster move into a line of girls.)

Effie: (Through microphone) Welcome! Welcome, welcome. Happy Hunger Games. And, may the odds be ever in your favor. Now, before we begin. We have a very special film. Brought to you all the way from the Capitol!

Walburga laughed at Effie's magenta velvet dress. Haymitch steps in] "Hey! At least she doesn't look like you, with a drowned rat face. I ain't got a clue why your husband married you honestly." [Walburga glared at him as he stumbled away, going to get some more wine before coming back a minute later. Effie looks pleased with him coming to her defense.

(The film begins playing, and Gale mocks the beginning.)

President Snow: "War. Terrible war. Widows, orphans, a motherless child. This was the uprising that rocked our land. Thirteen districts rebeled against the country that fed them, loved them, protected them. Brother turned on brother until nothing remained. And then came the peace, hard fought, sorely won. A people rose up from the ashes, and a new era was born. But freedom has a cost. And the traitors were defeated. We swore as a nation we would never know this treason again. And so it was decreed that each year, the various districts of Panem would offer up, in tribute, one young man and woman to fight to the death in a pageant of honor, courage, and sacrifice. The lone victor, bathed in riches, would serve as a reminder of our generosity and our forgiveness. This is how we remember our past. This is how we safeguard our future."

Effie: "I just love that! Now, the time has come for us to select one courageous young man and woman for the honor of representing District 12 in the 74th Annual Hunger Games. As usual, ladies first."

"This is messed up," Orion mutters under his breath.

(Effie moves over to the pool of names, and draws a piece of paper. She goes back to the microphone and opens it.)