1.3

Atala: In 2 weeks, 23 of you will be dead. One of you will be alive. Who that is depends on how well you pay attention over the next four days, particularly to what I'm about to say. First, no fighting with the other Tributes. You'll have plenty of time for that in the Arena. There are four compulsory exercises. The rest will be individual training. My advice is, don't ignore the survival skills. Everybody wants to grab a sword, but most of you will die from natural causes. 10 percent from infection. 20 percent from dehydration. Exposure can kill as easily as a knife.

These statistics don't reassure the Black brothers as they whimper in fear for their sister.

-----

Cato: Jason where's my knife, huh?

Jason: I didn't touch your knife.

Cato: I put my knife right there!

Jason: I didn't touch your knife!

Cato: You took my knife, you liar!

Jason: I didn't touch your knife!

Cato: You little punk! You took my knife!

Jason: I'm just sitting here.

Cato: I'll finish you right now, kid! Actually better yet, I'll wait for the Arena. You're the first one I get, so watch your back.

-----

(Aster sees Rue, the girl from District 11, hiding with Cato's knife. She lets out a quiet chuckle.)

Atala: Everybody back in line!

Cato: You know who you're messing with, kid!

*cut to Aster, Peeta, Haymitch, Effie, and the stylists at dinner*

Haymitch: He's a Career. You know what that is?

Aster: From District 1.

Haymitch: And 2. They train in a special academy until they're 18. Then they volunteer. By that point, they're pretty lethal.

Many students start shouting about how unfair it was for the outer districts. It takes a few minutes for them to all quiet down.

Effie: But they don't receive any special treatment. In fact, they stay in the exact same apartments you do. And I don't think they let them have dessert. And you can.

Effie laughs at her younger naive self.

Peeta: So how good are they?

Haymitch: Obviously, they're pretty good. They win it almost every year, but...

Effie: Almost.

Haymitch. They can be arrogant. And arrogance can be a big problem. I hear you can shoot.

Aster: I'm alright.

Peeta: She's better than alright. My father buys her squirrels. He says she hits them right in the eye every time.

Aster: Peeta's strong.

Peeta: What?

Aster: He can throw a 100 pound sack of flour right over his head. I've seen it.

Peeta: Well, I'm not gonna kill anybody with a sack of flour.

Aster: No, but you might have a better chance of winning if somebody comes after you with a knife.

Peeta: I have no chance of winning! None! All right? It's true. Everybody knows it. You know what my mother said? She said District 12 might finally have a winner. But she wasn't talking about me. She was talking about you. I'm not very hungry.