i. the 7th summer

i. the 7th summer

the lighting thief

When little seven-year-old Carmen got to Camp Half-Blood, she had a panic attack

When little seven-year-old Carmen got to Camp Half-Blood, she had a panic attack. She was in an unknown place, surrounded by unknown people, over one thousand miles away from her mom — she was overwhelmed. Chiron — bless his heart — managed to calm a red-faced Carmen, promising her that she was safe. Mr. D just frowned at her and muttered something about kids being brats.

Now, it has been seven years since her arrival to camp and Carmen no longer felt scared. She was home. No matter how much she wished to be with her mom back in Wisconsin, Camp Half-Blood was her home. She had lived at camp for half her life, it was the home in which she had the most memories. Every couple of months she would bring up the idea of visiting her mom, but as always, Caroline would always tell Carmen that it was too dangerous and that Carmen was safer at Camp Half-Blood.

However, at that moment, she did not feel safe.

She was sweating. In fact, she thought about how her sweat could probably be seen through her camp shirt, but she was too focused on avoiding the lava to worry about armpit sweat stains. She was climbing the wretched lava wall and she was feeling absolutely miserable.

"What if I just let go?" Carmen asked through pants.

Silena was staring at Carmen, safe with her feet planted on the ground. The rest of the Aphrodite kids were roaming around, trying to distance themselves from the rock climbing wall. Chiron had paired up Carmen with the Aphrodite cabin. Since both parties detested the rock-climbing wall they teamed up in hopes of changing Chiron's mind – it didn't work.

Silena crossed her arms. "You'll fall."

"I'll live."

"And then Chiron will scold you for failing on purpose."

"Ugh!"

Carmen continued to complain the rest of the way up. She hated lava, mainly because it scared her, but it was also because three years ago she burned herself. She still had the burn scar on her right forearm to prove it. Once she reached the top she doubled over, breathing heavily as she rested her arms on her knees. "How," she breathed. "How did I do?"

Silena grimaced, knowing her friend would be disappointed by her answer. "Seven minutes and thirty-six seconds."

Carmen's eyes widened. "Are you shitting me?"

"At least you beat your record," Silena said in an attempt to cheer Carmen up.

"By like nine seconds."

Climbing had been Carmen's number one enemy since she got to camp. Before arriving at Camp Half-Blood, she had no reason to climb. She was from the city, there weren't many things to climb. But like everyone at camp, she was forced to do all activities, even the ones she sucked at. At least she didn't suck at everything. She was a decent archer, mediocre at hand-to-hand combat, and could hold herself with a sword. She used to be shit at wielding a sword, but Luke from the Hermes cabin was nice enough to train her.