Chapter 10: The Old and New Kesi

A gentle warmth continued to envelop Kesi. Like a radiant halo, she embraced the spiritual currents coursing through her being. It was more than a mere sensation; it was a caress from the divine, an otherworldly touch that reached into the depths of her soul. Around her, the air charged with sacred energy, allowing Kesi to feel a profound connection to something beyond the tangible realm. In that moment, she wasn't merely a bystander – she was an integral part of the cosmic dance, a harmonious symphony orchestrated by the Goddess herself, where time lost all meaning.

In the cosmic dance, her gift started to fade. Colors that Kesi had once observed now blurred into the vast array the spectrum already had to offer. Sights and sounds she attributed to her gift's power no longer whispered their secrets. 

At the same time, an emptiness settled deep in her spine. Drowning in the vastness, Kesi found herself subconsciously tracking a bird up in the sky. Before, she would have found herself calculating its flight path, trajectory, speed, and the beats per minute of its wingspan. However, as she lost sight of it, well before she normally would have, she saw it exactly for what it was: a simple creature created by the Goddess. The gift she was born with was gone.

For the first time, in a long time, Kesi was happy. 

"What happens next?" she asked with bated breath. A small amount of doubt crept up inside her, afraid that the Goddess would leave so soon after gracing Kesi with her presence. She eagerly looked towards Eliza for answers. To her relief, Eliza didn't disappoint.

"We celebrate with the family," Eliza said, turning to the others. "Irene, summon the sisters down at the docks, and any of our sailor brothers that happen to be in port. Orion, clack it double-time to Mythwood. I know this time of day some of the brothers there will be at the mine, but gather whoever you can. Makenzie and Quent, you two take whatever you can out of our funds and go into town. Buy all the wine you can with it and any other provisions with all the bells and whistles. Expect a large crowd. Irene, they might need help. When you're done, swing by there and with the brothers and sisters you gather at the docks to assist. Timba, head to Swampstone. There is a halfling glass blower there by the name of Eria. She's the sect leader there. Have her gather the family and meet us here as quickly as you can. I'll contact the Teacher."

"Is that savvy?" Orion asked, a hint of concern laced into his voice. "Between the Syndicate and your Poppi, someone is bound to give us the gear-eye. Remember what the Teacher said."

"Rusty rivets Orion! Way to grind my gears to a halt," Eliza began, her voice carrying a momentary pause as if she had committed some minor offense and had to chastise herself. In her hesitation, her eyes scanned the surroundings, searching for a solution. When her gaze landed back on Kesi, there was a spark of anticipation, and she glanced down towards Kesi's bag. A sudden excitement surged through her, and she couldn't contain the joy in her next words. 

"KesiTech! Did you finish the device? Is it ready?"

Kesi gently patted her bag, widening her grin. "Contraption complete. I haven't tested it, but I know it gearwork is exquisite.

Are you? a small voice whispered, but she pushed it to the side. Instead, she fixed her eyes on Eliza's own smile, focusing her thoughts on feeling the Goddess's presence.

"Cog-tastic," Eliza all but cheered. "Gather everyone to the temple ground by sunset. Tonight, we celebrate a welcoming and homecoming. Full steam ahead everyone, clock's ticking." 

One by one, the five of them left, but not before each one gave Kesi a comforting hug whose collective warm embrace lingered long after they left. When it was just her and Eliza, Eliza embraced her too, but it was different than it was before. Instead of the tight embrace of a friend, her body perfectly melted into the comfort of her sister. "What should I do?" Kesi asked, still leaning into the comfort of the embrace.