Epilogue

• 4 years later •

4 years later •

Changes.

They can come slowly, or happen drastically, which is why it helps when there are some things that stay the same.

Like this Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder in the pantry of the CEO's office.

It's been four years since I left, and now that I'm back, this thing is still here.

"Ate! Bakit ikaw ang gumagawa niyan? Where's my secretary?" Nix popped out of nowhere and gave me a quick hug. Binitawan ko muna yung grinder.

"Hey Mr. CEO!" I greeted. "Your secretary had to go to the marketing department for a while. Nainip ako kakahintay sayo so I brewed coffee. Want some?"

"Ey! Aren't you sleepy, Ate? Dapat sa bahay ka dumeretso. Hindi ba uso sayo ang jetlag?"

"I had to offer you my sincere congratulations for being the new CEO of Atlas. That sits above all else." I cajoled. In a span of four years, Nix had earned his Masters Degree in Business and ultimately ended up being appointed by the board of directors to be the new chief executive officer.

"Congrats din, Ate. Finally, you earned your degree. I'm so happy for you! I would like to chat longer but I have another meeting coming up. How about dinner tonight with Dad?"

"Let's all dine together when I get back."

He eyed me quizically. "Saan ka pupunta?"

"Vacation. Just a few days, though. Okay lang ba?"

"Sure. Have fun. Call me when you get back. I missed you, Ate." He gave me yet another quick hug before heading to his next appointment.

Nagpatuloy ako sa pag-brew hanggang sa bumalik na ang secretary ni Nix sa desk nito. It used to be Noreen in there, but she quit shortly after Sven left.

After brewing, I took my time in the pantry to let the feeling of familiarity settle down. Apat na taon akong wala sa Pilipinas. Nasanay na ako sa malamig na klima ng Canada at sa gawi ng pamumuhay doon.

The only thing that made me come back is my promise to my father that I will take care of Atlas by participating in management, just like Nix.

I left after enjoying my freshly brewed coffee. A designated driver was sent to pick me up from the airport this morning, and same driver took me to Subic where I planned to spend my vacation.

I instructed him to take the huge suitcase home since I will only be carrying the medium-sized canvas duffel bag to the resort.

I was greeted by a rather gloomy receptionist when I arrived at the resort.

"Welcome to Honey Coast Beach Resort." Bati niya nang walang kabuhay buhay. "May reservation po ba kayo?"

"Yes,"