17

A T L A N T I C

Is it possible to truly be blinded by love? Throughout the years, I've heard of it, although I've never experience it myself. My thoughts, my actions, have never once been blinded by anything. Until now - until her. How did I miss it? How did I not realize? 

Was I ever even truly in love with her? Or just the version of herself she wanted me to see?

I watch as she leaves. I let her leave. She doesn't feel like I girl I know anymore, she feels different. Who even is she? Who is the girl a man without a heart managed to feel for - I had longed for her touch, I longed for the touch of a woman who I now realize I do not even know. 

She's just like me, yet different. When she pushed me, there were no black veins, the whites of her eyes did not fall victim to the darkness. Instead, they were red. Not completely, just slightly, as if the blood vessels in her eyes had burst. 

I had been in love with a stranger.

A stranger that burned down that hospital. She let everybody blame me, fuck, she even blamed me while keeping up her act. Clever girl. She never let her mask slip for a damn moment, it was painted on in place. 

I knew I didn't burn down that hospital. But I had already killed others, everybody just assumed it was me. Nobody was going to believe the boy with blood-stained hands that he did not do it.

"Atlantic?" I hear Maria's voice over the sound of shuffling footsteps, as police officers swarm the house. But I don't move. I remain in place. "Atlantic, where the hell is she?"

Where is she - fuck, I don't fucking care about that. Who is she? Who is the woman that made me love her without even showing me her true self?

"Atlantic," she says more sternly as she's now in front of me with crossed arms. Officer's shout that room after room is clear. 

I state blankly, "She got away."

"What?" Maria asks in disbelief. "How did she get away? How is that even possible?"

When she pushed me, and her hands touched my chest, I could feel something. It was strong, it was felt in every nerve, in every blood vessel, but I don't know what it was. Strength, but something else. In her bloodied, teary eyes, there was something that was more than just strong. 

A sense of fear forms in my lower stomach. Not from me, I'm not scared. I will hunt her to the ends of the Earth, she will never know what it feels like to be calm, she will always be afraid, looking over her shoulder, terrified that I will appear. Because if she looks me in my eyes ever again, it will only be moments before she dies. 

That's why I could feel what she felt - after I kissed her, after I began to care about her, we bonded. Two people that are the same. I started to be able to feel what she felt - and right now, she's scared, scared of me. And she should be. 

"I got distracted," I say to Maria. She whispers, "Jesus fucking Christ."

"Fine, fine, whatever," Maria throws her hands up before sighing. "But we're going to find her - you're going to find her and kill her, okay? We can't risk her messing this up."

Maria's motives, I don't care about them right now, all I think about is Aria. All the lies she's told, all the lies I don't even know about yet. I thought she truly cared about me, but in the end, I was just a means to an end. Information on how to be able to take her own life, maybe she would've killed me before, who knows. 

"I will kill her, Maria," I say quietly. There was no expiry date on vengeance, I didn't care how long it'll take, I'll kill the woman that made my heart beat, who never even had a heart.