Chapter 8: Safe Haven

The man scanned their group, taking into account anyone who could be dangerous. He counted six men, five women, two children, and a dog. "Is it trained?" He asked, nodding towards Tank. Lauren nodded. After a long pause, he said cautiously, "You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission."

Rick nodded. "We can do that."

"You got stuff to bring in, you do it now." The man instructed, lowering his weapon. "Once this door closes it stays closed."

The group crammed into a small elevator before being led down a hallway by the man, Dr. Edwin Jenner, he introduced himself as.

"Are we underground?" Carol asked while they walked down the corridor.

Dr. Jenner glanced back at her. "Are you claustrophobic?"

"A little."

"Try not to think about it."

Lauren shuddered a little at the thought of being trapped underground in such close quarters, but she quickly reminded herself that it was better than what waited for them outside the building.

"VI, bring up the lights in the big room." He commanded as they stepped into a much larger room. The room was set up with computer desks scattered among the main floor and a few more on a circular platform in the middle of the room. Lauren squinted as the room lit dimly.

Jenner paused a moment, letting the lights power on before making his way down a ramp to the circle platform. "Welcome to zone five"

"Where is everybody?" Rick questioned, following behind the doctor. "The other doctors? The staff?"

Jenner stopped in the middle of the platform, turning to face the group. "I'm it." He held his hands up. "It's just me here."

"What about that person you were speaking with?" Lori asked. "Vi?"

"VI, say hello to our guests," Jenner spoke to seemingly no one in particular. "Tell them, welcome."

Lauren looked around the room, expecting a person to emerge from somewhere. Instead, a computer audio voice spoke. "Hello, guests. Welcome."

"I'm all that's left," Jenner said once again. "I'm sorry."

After not eating for days, the reheated food Jenner had given them was practically a full-blown feast. They all sat around the small cafeteria laughing and enjoying the first real meal any of them had had in a while. Tank sat underneath Lauren's chair, happily gnawing on a chunk of dried beef jerky.

Lauren took a moment to look at the group around her. Since the quarry camp had formed, it seemed like none of them had had a moment to relax. Hearing the laughter echoing throughout the room and seeing the drunken smiles on people's faces was enough to make her heart swell a bit. Though she had only known most of them for a few weeks, she had really grown to care for everyone in this group.

Rick and Dale had managed to convince Lori to allow Carl a sip of wine. He took one swig before scrunching his face up in disgust and exclaiming how nasty the drink was. The group burst out laughing.

"Yeah, let's stick to soda pop for you, Bud." Shane laughed.

"Not you Glenn." An obviously intoxicated Daryl added to Shane's comment. "Keep drinking little man, I wanna see how red yer face can get."

All eyes turned to Glenn whose face, like Daryl's comment suggested, was completely flushed. He had one of the many open bottles of liquor in his hand and Lauren cringed, knowing exactly how shitty he was gonna feel the following morning.