Chapter 31: A Crack In The Glass

Lauren woke up late the next morning to an almost empty house. Daryl, Andrea, T-dog, and Shane had gotten up early to take care of Dale's body and it was decided that a funeral would be held in the afternoon. During the funeral, Rick gave a short speech about honoring Dale. To be honest, Lauren was only half paying attention, she kept replaying the previous day in her head. Randall's interrogation, lecturing Carl, arguing with Dale, the failed execution, Dale's death, and then everything with Daryl last night... It all felt like a haze.

After the funeral, it was decided that they would officially move their things into the house. Shane and Lauren stood at the back of the green Sudan, loading the trunk with wood planks and tools. The plan was for the two of them to drive out to the windmill to start building a platform for a lookout. It was all part of Rick's plan to make the farm safer.

Carl approached them when they had just about filled the car as much as possible. "Aunt Lauren, Uncle Shane?"

"Hey, kiddo." Lauren grunted as she lifted another board into the trunk.

Shane glanced at Carl before helping Lauren shove the wood into the vehicle. "Whatcha doin' wanderin' around here by yourself?"

"If I tell you guys something... will you promise not to tell my parents?" Carl asked hesitantly.

Lauren and Shane both paused, exchanging a look before turning to Carl. Shane shook his head before picking up another slab of wood. "That's probably a bad idea for all of us, bud."

Carl huffed in disappointment before turning to leave. Lauren stared at him for a second, cocking her head to the side. She had already covered for this kid so many times within the past few days she was getting tired of having the same conversation every day, but her curiosity won.

"Carl, wait, come back." She sighed, sitting herself on the edge of the trunk. Shane joined her, leaning against the side of the car as Carl returned. "What is it?"

Carl hesitated a moment, shifting his weight back and forth before reaching into his waistband and producing a handgun, but not just any handgun, Daryl's handgun.

"I took it from Daryl's motorcycle." He told them, avoiding eye contact. "If he found out I took it, he'd kill me."

Lauren was speechless. She ran her hands through her hair, taking in a deep breath. She had to stop herself from screaming at Carl, clenching her jaw and letting Shane do the talking.

"What the hell were you doing with this?" He asked, taking the gun.

Carl looked down. "It's my fault Dale is dead."

Shane furrowed his eyebrows. "Carl, why would you say that, man? Dale got bit by a walker-"

"I saw that walker! I was gonna shoot it!" Carl explained. "When he was stuck in the mud. I was... I was throwing rocks at him and stuff, out in the woods. I was gonna do it, shoot it right in the head. And it got free, came after me and...I ran away. If I had killed it, Dale would still be here."

"You what ?" Lauren's eyes widened and she felt her fists clench. "You mean to tell me that after everything I said to you yesterday you went out into the woods and started fucking with the walkers?"

Lauren had to stand up and walk a few steps away, trying to cool down. She was fuming. It literally felt like Carl was trying to give her a heart attack. Carl could barely look at his aunt, too scared of what she would do. He wasn't scared she would hurt him or anything, that was the last thing on his mind. No, he was more afraid to see the disappointment in her eyes.

"Carl...You need to hold onto this." Shane said, trying to shove the gun back into the boy's hands. Lauren's eyes snapped up.

"No!" Both she and Carl said in unison.