Chapter 20: The Monster Within

Lauren sat alone for a while longer, enjoying what she felt like was her first moment of peace all day. Maybe even the past week. She scanned the field in front of her, looking for any signs of anything unusual, she figured they were fine but she was technically on watch so she might as well do her job. As she guessed, everything looked fine.

She turned around, looking towards the Greene house. She saw Maggie and Glenn sitting on the porch steps, talking. Carl, Beth, and Patricia sat up on the porch behind them, focusing on some sort of board game on the small table. Lori was leaning against the railing a few feet away, watching them play. Carl laughed and reached down to pet Tank who was lying at the boy's feet.

Lauren felt a small smile tug at her lips as she took in the scene. It all seemed so domestic, so peaceful. She really hoped Maggie had been able to sway Hershel in his decision. This farm was the best thing that had happened to their small group in a long time.

Her eyes moved away from the house a bit, watching as Andrea and T-dog made their way towards the others from across the field.

No Rick? Lauren thought to herself. She spotted Carol and Daryl near the small pond she had seen them at earlier. The pair seemed to have made up and were also headed towards the farmhouse.

Lauren sighed and moved to climb down the RV ladder. If everyone else was heading to the house, she might as well do it too. Besides, she wanted to ask Andrea and T-dog where the hell Rick was.

Lauren made it to the house around the same time as Andrea and T-dog. Glenn stood up and took a few steps forward to meet them.

"Do you know what's going on?" T-dog asked as they approached.

"Where is everyone?" Andrea added.

Glenn's brows furrowed in confusion. "You guys haven't seen Rick."

"Yeah, he told me you guys were going off to look for Sophia." Lauren walked up, joining the conversation.

Andrea nodded, placing her hands on her hips. "Yeah, we were going to. He went off with Hershel, we were supposed to leave a couple of hours ago."

"Yeah, you were." Lauren turned around to see Daryl and Carol approaching. She turned slightly, letting them into the sort of circle she and the others seemed to be in. "What the hell?"

"Rick told us he was going out." Carol confirmed.

Lauren nodded, crossing her arms. "Yeah, me too."

"Damn it, isn't anybody taking this seriously? We got us a damn trail." Daryl huffed, swinging his arm out towards the woods. His eyes focused on something behind Lauren. "Ah, here we go."

Lauren whipped around to see Shane marching towards them, he had the bag filled with all their guns strapped to his back and a determined look on his face.

"Oh no." Lauren said quietly to no one in particular. Whatever Shane was planning to do with that bag couldn't be good.

"What's all this?" Daryl asked, walking past Lauren and towards Shane, gesturing to the bag.

Shane swiftly swung the bag off his shoulder Reaching in, he pulled out a shotgun and held it out to Daryl as he continued towards the group. "You with me, man?"

"Yeah." Daryl nodded taking the shotgun from Shane and cocking it. Lauren rolled her eyes. Typical Dixon; shoot first, ask questions later. Daryl didn't even know what he was with Shane on.

"What the hell are you doing?" Lauren stepped forward, trying to keep the situation from escalating.

"Time to grow up." Shane ignored Lauren's question and shoved her own into her hands. He turned to Andrea. "You already got yours?"