Chapter 10: Tomorrow Is Long Time

The CDC not only ended up being a complete bust, but they all had also almost died. That left them with plan B: Fort Benning. Siphoning gas and cutting down the number of vehicles they were taking was a smart call as well. Daryl decided to ditch the pickup truck, opting instead for Merle's motorcycle which had been strapped in the bed. Rick Lori and Carl stayed in their car with Sophia and Carol, leaving the rest of the group to pack into the R.V.

Lauren headed straight for the small bed occupying the back of the R.V. leaving Tank with Glenn up front. She hadn't slept much the night before and was using every opportunity to rest. They had only been driving maybe 30 minutes or so before she was jolted awake. The vehicle suddenly stopped, sending her rolling off of the small cot and onto the RV floor.

Lauren let out a groan before lifting herself up and joining the others. "What the hell?"

"Somethings wrong with the RV," Glenn said as they began piling out of the vehicle.

"I said it. Didn't I say it?" Dale grumbled. "A thousand times. Dead in the water."

"Problem Dale?" Rick asked, getting out of his own car.

"Just the small matter of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no hope of- '' He stopped mid-sentence, taking in their current surroundings once more. "Okay, that was dumb."

"You can definitely find a radiator hose here." Shane said.

"There's a whole buncha stuff we can find." Daryl added.

T-dog nodded. "We can siphon more fuel from these cars for a start."

"Maybe some food and water." Carol suggested.

Lori looked uneasy. "This is a graveyard. I don't know how I feel about this."

"C'mon y'all, just look around." Shane brushed off her comment. "Gather what you can."

The group dispersed, spreading out amongst the cars, looking for anything that could be of use. Lauren and Tank broke off with Carol and Lori, who looked entirely uncomfortable looking through the cars. Lauren watched as Carol held up a red blouse she pulled from a suitcase in one of the abandoned cars.

"Ed never let me wear nice things like this." Carol explained sheepishly, looking down when she noticed Lauren watching her.

"It looks nice on you." Lauren smiled. "You should keep it."

Lauren wandered down the road a bit with Tank right behind her, looking for anything in the cars that could be of use. She heard Glenn laugh and looked over to find Shane standing underneath a stream of flowing water. He had seemingly found a delivery truck and it was filled with water jugs.

"It's like being baptized, man!" Shane laughed, shaking out his now wet hair. Lauren couldn't help but to herself. That was the Shane she knew. The Shane that she trusted. Not whatever he was at the CDC. She continued smiling to herself as she searched the cars a bit more. Lauren suddenly paused; something felt off.

She smelled them before she saw them. Looking down the road, over one of the cars she spotted them; a hoard of walkers, at least 30 or so, making their way towards her.

"Shit ." She whispered to herself.

"Tank," She called quietly. Tank hurried over to her and Lauren grabbed his collar, quickly pulling him over to an old pickup truck.

"Up." She said, and Tank leaped into the bed of the truck and Lauren climbed in after him, praying that this would work.

"Lay down." She commanded. Tank once again did as she said, laying low in the bed of the truck. Lauren quickly grabbed an old Tarp from beside the car and jumped up next to Tank. She pulled the tarp over the bed until it covered them both completely. Lauren laid as flat as she could, with one hand on Tank's collar. Her heart was beating so loud she was almost certain the herd would hear it. Lauren held her breath as she heard the group start to pass by the truck, thanking whatever higher power there was for giving her such a well-behaved dog.