twenty seven

Keziah.

April, 1998.

"Kez."

She closed her eyes and pretended to sleep.

"Keziah, I know you're not sleeping," Fred droned as his fingers ran through her silky hair. "Your snores stopped almost ten minutes ago when you woke up."

She made a sound like a groan and a scoff mixed together. Her head lifted from his bare chest and she met his eyes. "What?"

"I like the sound of your soft snores when you're dreaming," he mumbled, and tangled his other arm around her body as they lay in her bed early morning.

"I like the sound you make when you stop talking."

He rolled his eyes at her comment, his neck leaned against the pillows. "Can I ask you something?"

Her body was half on his as she traced her fingertips down his abs under the blanket. "You're going to ask me your question even if I say no," she muttered, and rested her chin on his pectoral.

"True." He nodded and ran his large hands under her shirt to feel her bare back. "You said you haven't seen your parents since you were ten, right?" When she nodded, he continued. "Have you ever thought of reaching out to them?"

"Mm-mm." She shook her head and slid one of her legs in between his two long ones to tangle within his body. "I haven't found a reason to. There's nothing I'd say to them and honestly, I'm fine without them."

"You don't want even a bit of closure?" he mused softly with frowned brows.

"Don't care for it." She shook her head again. "Didn't care then, don't care now."

He nodded at her answer even though he looked like he wanted to say something. He understood when to let something go with her, so he didn't press.

Keziah shifted to straddle him, sitting on his lower abs. She leaned down and kissed him slowly for a few beats and when he leaned in for more, she pulled away. "Okay, well, I'm going." She got off of him.

"Going?" He propped himself up on his elbows, eyebrows wrinkled together.

"To get food." She walked right out of the bedroom wearing his T-shirt that fell past her bum and her underwear.

"You can't just kiss me like that and walk off, Kez!" he called from the bedroom.

She smirked and went to the fridge to grab the bowl of cherries and strawberries, which she washed and cut the day before. She placed the bowl on the counter and lifted herself up on it to sit, between the sink and the fridge.

She plucked a cherry between her fingers and popped it into her mouth as she watched the gorgeous redhead come into the kitchen. His hand rubbed the back of his untidy hair and his sweatpants hung low on his hips, exposing his delicious V-line.

When he approached her, she held a strawberry to his mouth and he grabbed it between his teeth with half of it sticking out. She spit the seed of the cherry into the sink next to her and when she turned back, his lips were on hers and the other half of the strawberry was between her teeth.

She smiled as she bit it in half and the strawberry juice trickled down her chin. The half of the berry lurched into the side of her mouth. Her arms flung around his neck as she yanked him between her legs to kiss him.

Fred planted his hands on either side of her upon the counter. His sensuous mouth matched her smile as he licked up her chin to collect the strawberry juice before meeting her lips again.