Chapter 39 : The velvet scandal

As Raven delves into the intricate details of the Velvet Scandal, he reveals it to Eve layer by layer. The Velvet Scandal is a clandestine network of influential individuals operating in the shadows, manipulating events to serve their interests. It extends its roots deep into politics, business, and the underworld, making it a formidable force that controls the destinies of many.

The scandal revolves around a series of covert operations, bribery, and manipulation of information. Its dark influence has impacted key decisions in the political landscape and orchestrated financial maneuvers that shape the economy. The true power of the Velvet Scandal lies in its ability to remain concealed, with its orchestrators hidden behind layers of secrecy.

As Raven continues unraveling the Velvet Scandal, he explains the sinister mechanisms that have allowed it to thrive unchecked. The scandal involves a series of interconnected criminal activities, including money laundering, extortion, and illegal transactions. Its members manipulate political figures, control media narratives, and exploit legal loopholes to escape scrutiny.

One of the most shocking aspects of the Velvet Scandal is its involvement in human trafficking and the exploitation of vulnerable individuals. Raven describes how the network preys on the desperate and impoverished, trading them as commodities for their illicit gains. These horrifying actions are carefully concealed beneath the polished veneer of the upper echelons of society.

Despite the heinous nature of the Velvet Scandal's operations, it remains untouched by official actions. The network has infiltrated key institutions, placing its agents in strategic positions to ensure that investigations are stifled, evidence disappears, and whistleblowers are silenced. The complexity and depth of its influence make it nearly impossible for law enforcement agencies to dismantle.
______

Eve, with a hesitation in her voice asks," But why are you so dep in this mess Raven ? It doesn't feel like just for the pursuit for justice. Rather how you talk hides a deeper meaning, a more desperate reason behind all you are doing."

Raven, with a hint of vulnerability in his voice, continues, "I had no motive in solving it. I didn't even care about it because I knew nothing would happen even if these people are proved guilty. But then there she was... she, my sister - Aria Noir. She was totally different from me. She wanted justice; she wanted to uncover the horrible crimes and games being played."

His voice becomes more strained as he recalls the events, "She was a journalist at the S2 news channel. A year ago, she tried reopening the case and investigating it on her own. Even after my thousand requests, she was still persistent. I never thought things would go so wrong."

Raven's eyes betray the pain he feels as he continues, "It was a Saturday evening. We always used to go out and have dinner at her favorite restaurant. But that night, she didn't come home." His voice wavers as he shares the heart-wrenching truth, "She never came home, Eve."

He describes the desperate search for Aria, his voice heavier, "I tried to search for her everywhere, filed complaints, connected with people online, went to all the places, asked all the people I could possibly think of. That time, I failed as a detective, as a brother, as... as her guardian. I failed to protect her."

The anguish in his words lingers in the room, creating a somber atmosphere. Raven takes a shaky breath, continuing, "I don't even know where she is now. Maybe she isn't even alive. And to think that, it crushes my heart and haunts me. But there's hope, there's still hope that maybe if I solve this case or catch its culprit, I'll be able to find her. Or the heartbreaking reality, I'll be able to give her peace."

Eve, touched by the depth of Raven's pain, reaches out and gently places her hand on his, offering silent support. The weight of Raven's emotional confession hangs in the air, and a shared vulnerability bridges the gap between them.

Raven, his eyes reflecting the torment within, gazes into Eve's eyes. "I don't want anyone else to go through what she did, or what I did, not knowing where she is," he adds, his voice laced with determination.

Eve, now understanding the true motivation behind Raven's relentless pursuit of the Velvet Scandal, whispers softly, "Raven, I'm so sorry. I had no idea..."

Raven, appreciating Eve's sincerity, gives her a faint but grateful smile. "You weren't supposed to know. I've kept this part of my life hidden for a reason. But I needed you to understand why I'm doing all of this."

Eve nods in understanding, "You don't have to carry this burden alone. We'll find Aria, together."

Raven, touched by Eve's willingness to share the weight of his pain, feels a subtle shift in the air. A silent agreement passes between them — a promise to face the shadows of the past and the present side by side.

Raven, exhaustion etched across his features, hesitates before speaking, "Eve, do you mind if I rest here for a moment before I go? I'm just..."

Eve, without a word, gently pats the space beside her on the couch. "Lie down for a while, Raven. You've been through a lot," she says with genuine concern.

Raven, appreciating her understanding, gratefully sinks into the softness of the couch. As he stretches out, Eve instinctively moves closer, offering her lap as a makeshift pillow.

The room is filled with a comforting silence, broken only by the soft hum of the air conditioner. Raven, with his eyes closed, can feel the warmth of Eve's presence. The weight of the investigations, the complexities of the Velvet Scandal, and the emotional toll they've taken on him begin to temporarily fade away.

Eve, tenderly running her fingers through Raven's hair, watches him with a mix of compassion and sympathy. She recognizes the vulnerability in him, the exhaustion that comes from carrying the weight of the past.

In this quiet moment, the unspoken bond between them deepens. And as Raven drifts into a momentary reprieve from the relentless pursuit of the truth, Eve remains a steadfast anchor, providing solace in the midst of life's storms.