Peaceful Life

A week has passed since I entered ANHS. My experience here has been, simply, peaceful. I attended class, I ate food that I never had before, and have done things that I never had.

Not to mention, I was able to make my first acquaintance, and held a proper and authentic conversation for the first time for as long as I could remember.

Shiina Hiyori in a sense, had helped me achieve a peaceful life.

However, while peaceful, was it really normal?

~—~

"Kiyotaka-kun. Understand this, people are nothing but tools you should use to seize victory. Victory, brought upon by your own intelligence and strength, is the only thing that matters."

I was four years old when my father spoke those words to me. It was the first time I saw him in person, and the first time he spoke those words to me.

But it certainly wasn't the last.

For over a decade, I've had his ideologies drilled into my head.

Whoever couldn't adopt those ideologies would die. One by one, the people around me dropped like flies, collapsing physically, their brains damaged, and disposed of.

We bore names, but, there was nobody around to say our names affectionately.

Our names felt like a title assigned to us at birth, but not our identities, as we were only expendable resources in the pursuit to create a monster.

I don't have any particular feelings towards my upbringing. It was normal to me. It wasn't peaceful, but it was normal.

~—~

Recalling my memories, I looked up towards the white celling and leaned my chair backwards.

This isn't normal.

In the corner of the wall, a security camera was there. I observed the other corners of the room, and in each one there was a security camera.

Is this normal...?

Is it normal for a singular classroom to have this many cameras? I wouldn't know as I have never been in a classroom, but it feels excessive.

"Hey Ibuki!" My thoughts were broken by a sudden commotion within the room, coming from a few seats over.

"Tch. What do you want, Manabe-san?" The girl with short blue hair replied in anger.

"Can you stop being so snobbish and stop muttering about me under your breath? It's annoying." The girl named Manabe slammed Ibuki's desk and yelled at her.

"Hah? You must be insecure about yourself if you honestly think I give a damn's worth about you." Ibuki retorted.

"Why you little shi-!" Manabe raised her hand and attempted to slap Ibuki.

Ibuki raised her hands to defend herself, however...

The one who stopped the conflict was the man with long magenta hair, as he caught Manabe's hand just as it was about to strike.

"Kuku, do you really think thats such a bright idea, huh, Manabe?" He had a tight grip around Manabe, as her hand was twitching.