𝗿𝗶𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗼𝗻 𝗮 𝗱𝗼𝗼𝗺𝘀𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗲𝘁

- 𝘕𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝 -

The pair walk along A deck, side by side yet their brains were constructed in conversation.

"Well i've been on my own since I was fifteen, since my folks died. And I had no brothers or sisters or.. close kin in that part of the country. So I lit on out of there and haven't been back since." Jack lets his words spill into Jaida's ears, yet she wasn't complaining. She was honestly intrigued by him.

"You could just call me a tumbleweed." His poor attempt to lighten the story was brightened with thousands of lights.

"Well Jaida, we've walked about a mile around this boat deck and.. chewed over how great the weathers been and how I grew up. But, I reckon that's not why you came to talk to me.. is it?"

"Mr Dawson I-"
"Jack."
"..Jack.."

Jaida continues. "I want to thank you for what you did. Not just for pulling me back, but for your discretion."

"You're welcome." He replies. Eye contact was happening every five seconds. It gave the girl a very unfamiliar feeling deep in her stomach.

Butterfly's.

Yet she scolded herself in her mind and continued on.

"Look.. I know what you may be thinking, poor little rich girl. What does she know about misery."

"No. No, that's not what I was thinking. What I was thinking was, what could've happened to this girl to make her think she had no way out?"

He rested his arm along the ropes hanging from the ship as the sun illuminated his features. His blonde hair becoming golden, and his blue eyes lightening.. if that was even possible.

Jaida's head was fuzzy. "Well I.. it was everything. It was my whole world and.. all the people in it. And the inertia of my life, plunging ahead and me, powerless to stop it. I've been watching my sister suffer the consequences of her horribly arranged marriage and it breaks my heart. Piled onto that knowing that i'll have the exact same fate with her fiancés cousin."

Jaida lifts her hand showing him the diamond laying on her finger.

"God, look at that thing! You would've gone straight to the bottom." He smirks
"..five hundred invitations have gone out..
..all of Philadelphia society will be there..
..and all the while I feel i'm..
..standing in the middle of a crowded room, screaming at the top of my lungs and no one even looks up!"

"Do you love him?"
"Pardon me?"
"Do you love him?"

Her mouth gapes in disbelief, she looks into his eyes hoping he is just fooling with her, yet his face is stern. "You're being very rude, you shouldn't be asking me this."

"Well it's a simple question, Do you love the guy or not?" He knocks back. "This is not a suitable conversation" She leads with a scoff as he mocks.

"Why can't you just answer the question?"

She laughs and walks about 5 steps further with him following along

"This is aubsurd!.. You don't know me and I don't know you and we are not having this conversation at all. You are rude and uncouth and presumptuous and I am leaving now."