Chapter 9

Marin

Sweaty palms, my throughout tightening up so I could barley swallow,

Fear.

Something I haven't experienced since I ran away.

That is, until tonight.

The thing is, the second before I got claimed, I knew it was going to happen. I just got this tingling sensation throughout my body, and out of no where, all these feelings exploded inside of me, feelings I can't even describe because I have never felt them before.

But as long as that turquoise symbol of mist was above my head, I was a different person. I was no longer Marin Henderson, I was... I was...

Before I could get the name of... Whoever I was, or became, by that symbol, it disappeared. All the feelings that I had felt, faded. And I was myself again.

Before I could even get a chance to process what just happened, Chiron stole me away from the crowd and took me into the big house.

"Chiron, what's happened? I thought it was normal to get claimed?" I asked him in confusion.

"Yes yes, but you didn't get claimed by a god Marin." He said in a rushed voice.

"But, that doesn't make any sense, do you know who I was claimed by? How can you be sure it wasn't one of the gods?" I asked him.

He started pacing the floor, "I'll have to do some research to figure out who your mom is, but don't you worry." He told me.

As he paced the wood floor, flipping frantically through books, it gave me a minuet to close my eyes, take a deep breath, and process what had happened.

I thought hard, tracing my footsteps, trying to go through every feeling I felt, reliving the scene.

I knew I would know the name, but the symbol disappeared before my mind could process the name of my mother, the one who claimed me.

It has been on the tip of my tongue since then, and it's been driving me crazy not knowing.

Then, out of no where, the name popped into my mind, and all the gears of my brain clicked together.

"Calypso." I said out loud, and as soon as I said it I knew I was right.

Chiron looked at me, but didn't say a word.

"I'm right aren't I? Calypso is my mother. I read some story's about her-"

"She is a nymph, and she lives on the island Ogygia." He explained.

"A nymph? But-"

He cut me off again, "her symbol, the one that showed above your head tonight, is the dolphin. There were rumors that the dolphin was her sacred animal, but no one can know for sure." He told me.

I sat down in total shock. "And?" I asked, expecting him to explain more.

He looked down. "That is all I know." He said.

I was stunned. "That's it? That's all you know?! You have books and books with thousands of pages explaining each God, a-and everyone gets there own cabin! I find out my mother is a nymph and the only thing you know about her is the island she lives on?! Am I her only child? Am I the first to get claimed by her? No wonder I could barely get through the border, the camp sensed I wasn't a regular godling. I don't belong here, I don't belong anywhere."

And before he could respond I sprinted away to one of the guest rooms and locked the door. Chiron did the smart thing and didn't follow me.

I threw myself on the bed and sobbed. After I was done feeling sorry for myself, I got up, wiped my tears and faced a mirror.