2. 𝙍𝙪𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙨

Here I am, sitting next to a girl, who I barely know, who just saved my ass from wandering aimlessly around the fair becuase she might recognize me

Here I am, sitting next to a girl, who I barely know, who just saved my ass from wandering aimlessly around the fair becuase she might recognize me. We sit next to each other, both staring at the other and waiting for the Wheel to start turning. She smiles and looks out over the fair as the ride jolts back to a start. "So, i'm not crazy about meeting you earlier?" I laugh, looking over the fair too. "No, I was with Isabel and Brittany, who you probably know." she nods quietly. "And you were with Pj-- if i'm right -- and some other girl? Sorry, i-uh dont know their names." Hazel laughs a bit awkwardly, looking behind us to where i assume Pj and the girl in a sling are. "Yeah its fine, that was Pj and Josie. They kind of... ummm..." She looks somewhat confused, which seemed to me like she was trying to explain something. "They kind of...?" I try to lead her to answer, confused. "Nothing. Nevermind! So uh- do you know my name?" I look away from her gaze-- partially because, no, i don't know her name, and partially because I might somewhat melt if I do -- "Sorry I don't... but I would like to?" At that i turn back to her, finally making eye contact. She had blueish grey eyes and a wide smile. "I'm Hazel, you're y/n, right?" How would she- Hazel, know my name? I shake her hand, perplexed. "Yeah, actually, do you know me?" She smiles again and looks back out at the fair. "Nah, not really, you're just kind of... infamous I guess?"

I sigh at her comment, wondering what multitude of rumors could have been started to turn me 'infamous'. "Infamous for what?" I say, just hoping it really is a stupid rumor. "Its not like, anything bad, I thought you knew about it. Some kids just say that like, you rejected Tim last year because you liked Brittany. I'm not sure why, but uh, if you don't mind me asking... is it true?" I look at her, eyes wide, my mouth half open.

What. The. Fuck. Who would've started that? Did Brittany... out me? No, she wouldn't, and neither would Isabel. "I- uh- no! It's not! Who even came up with that... is that why everyones been ignoring me?" I try to pool my thoughts together, I didn't expect the most calm ride to be this intense? Hazel turns to me, looking concerned. "Shit, sorry. I had no idea people were like, ignoring you! I'm sorry I brought it up." I turn to her, forcing a smile. "No, its better that I know. Thanks, Hazel. Do you even know who started it though?" She turns away from me, now avoiding eye contact. "Sorry. i don't. I didn't know that it like... had that much of an impact. I mean, being gay isnt even that big a deal." I laugh at her comment, mumbling under my breath, "Try telling that to the assholes who're ignoring me."

In a desprate attempt to salvage whatever little conversation we had made, Hazel turned back to me, "So, i just want to know, maybe im crazy but, uh. Were you, like staring at me before? Like, no judgement!" I smile, definitely not making any eye contact, my cheeks flushed. "Uhm. Sorta? I just- noticed you weren't talking to anyone. Y'know, like, Pj and Josie were talking to Isabel and Brittany, you were just kind of quiet. Not that thats a bad thing!" I tried to hide my face, having essentially said 'you looked lonely' as a way to deny something of a 'halway crush' (or I guess it would be school-fair crush). I couldn't see how she reacted. "oh! Makes sense, I guess! Pj was just real excited to be talking to Brittany, so I was just... bored." She tunred to me, i looked at her for a second, just out of the corner of my eye, she was smiling. " Buttt then I saw you looking at me and, I don't know, I was... interested! You seemed cool." The butterflies in my stomach started fluttering again.