3. 𝙄'𝙢 𝙖 𝙘𝙝𝙚𝙚𝙧𝙡𝙚𝙖𝙙𝙚𝙧!

I know you all get the title of this...

        When I had arrived home, the first thing I did was get Hazel's contact

When I had arrived home, the first thing I did was get Hazel's contact. She had given me her number, but I hadn't sent her a text, set her photo or even added her name yet, So i decided to kill 3 birds with one stone! I entered her contact name, but quickly realized I had no contact photo for her, so I could text her and get a contact photo!

"Hey Hazel! it's y/n!"
"from the fair."
"this might be weird but uh, can you send a pic of your face? I js need a contact pic! :)"

I waited a few minutes eagerly for a response.

"y/n! I remember you from the fair, dw."
"i'll send over a pic for my contact, can you send one over for yours?"

I replied immediately.

"Yeah, one sec!"

I scrolled through my camera roll for a few minutes every one of my photos now seeming not cute enough to be someone's contact for me. Eventually, I picked a photo of me from our last competition, I was in the uniform and, admittedly, I thought I looked hot... so what photo would be better?

"here!"

"omg that photo is so cute ty!"

I smiled at my phone, eagerly waiting for another response. I waited for a few minutes, wondering why it was taking so long... though it took me a few minutes too, I guess.

 though it took me a few minutes too, I guess

"here! it's my yearbook photo, sorry"

        I laughed a bit and smiled at my phone again.

"That is the biggest smile i've ever seen Hazel"

"Trust me, you haven't seen a big smile yet that's like half of what i can do !"

"You scare me."

"whattt why"

"no human can actually smile like that.
"no way"

"I CAN"

"NO"
"YOU CANT"

We went on texting for hours just like that, jokingly arguing, talking again about nothing at all. I spent those hours smiling at my phone, laughing at each message she sent. God, she was funny, cute and probably smart. Call me a walking stereotype, but I was falling fast.

- time skip a week -

About a week had gone by, me and Hazel texting and face-timing daily. School had not yet started, but tomorrow was the first Monday of the year. I walked into my closet, sorting through every outfit I could think of. I tried each on, something being somehow wrong with each one. I'd never had this much anxiety over a first day of school outfit. Maybe something to do with that whole rumor from the summer... or something. Not like I was anxious about seeing Hazel in person again, that would be stupid. Finally, i caved in and texted Brittany and Isabel to ask what they would wear. They sent me pictures, which barely helped, so i based my outfit off of theirs, something just a bit too sexy but nothing that would be too crazy.
I spent the rest of my night trying to figure out how to look good i'm the morning. Or, more accurately, i spent time stressing over if I would look good or not.
I had been combing my hair for the thousandth time when I got a text. I ran to pick up my phone, seeing the message was from Hazel and instantly opening it.

"Hey!"

"Heyy Haze! wsp?"

"Not much"
"I was wondering what classes you have?"
"yk, like tmrw"

"when else would my classes be?"

"IDK"
"Answer the question!!"

"I have Mr. G first period, Mrs. Lorenzo 2nd, Mrs. Maxwell 3rd and I think I have some art class last"
"not sure who the teacher is though"

"FR?"

"yes fr"

"YES"
"WE HAVE LIKE"
"HALF OUR CLASSES TG"

I was smiling and kicking my feet by this point in the conversation.

"WHAT YAY"

"IK"

"okok im super excited but i have to go plan my fit"
"cant wait to see you tmrw"
"BYE HAZE"

"wait haze?"

"yes"
"that's you"

How had she not noticed earlier? I mean a nickname felt... risky? But like... she can't mind it that much, right?

"i didn't notice you made me a nickname"
"that's sweet"
"anyway!"
"BYE"

I dropped my phone on my chest. Staring up at my ceiling above me, smiling. I covered my eyes, putting my hands over my face, feeling the warmth of my cheeks spread across my hands. Ok, so i got away with a nickname. Maybe that's a good sign? Or maybe i'm delusional. But, she could like me. The way she texted... how she's been acting on call... it felt different from how I behaved with my friends. To be fair, my friends were all straight. Somehow it feels like every time i find a reason she could like me, i feel like there's something that says she couldn't. Plus, we've met in person once that's no where near enough for normal girls to develop feelings... right? Plus, i'm a cheerleader, and Hazel probably assumes because I said the rumor wasn't true that i'm straight. And she probably wouldn't date a cheerleader anyway.
I'm overthinking all of this. So badly.
I rubbed my eyes, trying my best to get my mind off of everything. I was wasting time on it, my outfit was cute, my hair looked... fine, and Hazel should be the least of my worries. I took a deep breath in, and out. I got myself out of bed, walking into my bathroom and starting to wash my face. The cold water splashed over my too-hot cheeks, almost helping to calm me down. I was still thinking about Hazel. All of our calls felt different. She would vent to me, laugh with me, anything. I felt like I knew her so well that we'd been friends for like a year.
i guess that's what a week of lesbianism does to you.

as usual, i hope you enjoyed :) this chapter was a lot of setting the scene for their relationship so bear with me for the romance! 🫶