12. 𝘼 𝙉𝙚𝙬 𝙋𝙡𝙖𝙣

Me and Hazel tried to drown out the noises from Mrs. Callahan's room. We would talk slightly louder, try working on the other side of the room from the one facing her room, playing music, anything to get them quieter.
"I wish she just had some respect for me." Hazel mumbled, copying down some notes from me.
"Yeah... uhm it's not great?" I said, trying to ignore it and focus on our notes.
"I'm sorry about this." Hazel sighed, looking up from our notes, "I seriously didn't know she'd be home. Or doing this all night." She said, motioning to where her mom's room would be.
"It's not your fault," I said, trying to smile at her, "She has to take a break eventually, right?"
"Well, yeah." she sighed. "You want to go get a snack?" She asked.
"Yeah. Maybe it won't be as loud from downstairs." I said, getting up and walking to the door. Hazel followed close behind, she kind of reminded me of a puppy.

Hazel grabbed us a bag of microwave popcorn, putting it in the microwave and sitting next to me.
"You know, sometimes I wish I could like.. get back at her. It's so annoying, like I can't play music louder than she can fuck some guy!" Hazel groaned, laying her head down on the countertop.
"I mean the fact that it's with Jeff too... I mean there has to be something against this, right?" I said, looking around the kitchen.
Hazel started to say something before she was interrupted. "Mrs. Callahan, can I have a snack?" Jeff said, walking downstairs. Me and Hazel both groaned.
We both focused on the popcorn, trying not to acknowledge Jeff and Mrs. Callahan.
"Whoa, now you're sitting together? How romantic!" Jeff said, teasing me and Hazel. "What a perfect couple!" He 'patted' Hazel on her back a bit too hard. He couldn't even make fun of someone quite right.
"Why do you even care about our relationship? Shouldn't you be worried about your with Isabel?" I said, glaring at Jeff.
"Why don't you mind your business, nerd!" Jeff yelled, clearly annoyed. Hazel and I laughed quietly. "Alright, shut up. Lesbos." Jeff said, literally fuming.
"Ok, so what if we were, Jeff?" Hazel said, reaching to put her hand on top of mine. My face flushed completely, I'd short circuited.
"I-uhm- I fucked your mom! Fuck you!" Jeff said, grabbing a yogurt cup from the fridge and climbing back upstairs. Hazel laughed, watching him storm back to Mrs. Callahan's room.
"He's so easy to piss off, I think it's because he has an IQ of like... negative twenty." Hazel said, laughing. Her hand was still on mine. It wasn't even the fact that we were holding hands... more just the fact that she basically said we were girlfriends.
"Mhm, totally." I said, staring at our hands still. The popcorn finished a few seconds later, both of us focused on the microwave now.
"I'll grab it!" Hazel said, letting go of my hand. I took a deep breath and watched her grab the bag.
I took a second deep breath. "So... you did a great job at pissing off Jeff, where- uhm- where did you come up with that?" I asked, trying to see if she maybe said I was her girlfriend for another reason?
Hazel was quiet for a second, not facing me while she opened the bag of popcorn. "I'm uhm... i'm not sure! It was just natural I guess." She said, bringing me the bag. I was still blushing, I mean... she said us being girlfriends was natural. She said all these things like she had no idea what kind of an effect they had on me.
"Hazel, can I ask you a weird question?" I asked, grabbing some popcorn.
       "Yeah, what's up?" She said, also grabbing some popcorn.
       "So, all this shit with Tim and Jeff sucks, right?" I said. Hazel nodded in response. "Well, Jeff kind of left us alone after you said we were dating so... what if we kept telling them that?"
       Hazel's eyes widened, she struggled to get her words out. "What... what do you mean?" She asked.
       "I mean," I started, talking with my hands now. "What if we told people we were dating to get them off our backs? We wouldn't actually date but at least Tim and Jeff would leave us alone." It was a perfect plan, — for me at least — Tim leaves us alone and it opens up the idea of us dating!
       "That's... that's actually not a bad idea." Hazel said, smiling at me. "Ok, so... we're like, fake girlfriends now, right?" Hazel said, walking over to the living room with her popcorn.
       I followed close behind her, sitting down next to her. "Yeah. So, if anyone is being weird about that whole situation with Tim then we tell them we're dating! Plus, most straight people get uncomfortable when you mention lesbians so most anyone will leave us alone!"
       Hazel and I laughed for a minute, some of the popcorn spilling onto the couch. I was right though.
       "Ok, ok. I get it! Now, as my fake girlfriend do you want to watch a movie with me?" Hazel asked, reaching out for my hand.
       "Yes, but no horror movies this time. We're watching something romantic to really... set the mood for our fake relationship!" I said, trying to excuse wanting to watch some cheesy romance movie with her.
       "Got it." Hazel said, reaching for the remote. "A romance movie clearly legitimizes this. I get to lick the movie next time though."
       I smiled and grabbed the remote from her, immediately going to turn on 'But i'm a Cheerleader' — story of my life — because it was non-debatably the best lesbian romance movie of all time.
       "Do I have to ask how many times you've seen this?" Hazel said, turning to me before the movie started.
       "You can ask," I said, turning to look at her, "I'm just not sure you want to know." I smiled, turning back to the screen. She laughed a bit before looking back too.

hope you enjoyed!! <3just a note — chapter updates may be somewhat less frequent, i'm really busy right now

just a note — chapter updates may be somewhat less frequent, i'm really busy right now. I will still try to post once a week but i'm also working on another story so sometimes my once-a-week post may be from that instead! sorry :(