Chapter 2

Chapter 2

(Jennifer's POV)

"Thanks for the ride!" I say softly, trying not to let Andrew's captivating green eyes distract me. But knowing he's Ben's best friend, I can't help but feel cautious about him.

"It was a pleasure meeting you, Jennie. Would it be possible for me to get your number? Maybe we could go out to dinner Sunday night?" he asks with kindness in his voice, flashing a charming smile. My heart flutters, but I can't ignore my reservations. "I'm sorry, but I don't think that would be a good idea. I see the kind of company you keep, and that only brings into question the content of your character. Birds of a feather flock together," I reply, trying to remain firm in my decision.

The smile on his face falters, and his eyes reveal a hint of hurt. "I am not Benjamin. But in time, you will know that," he responds, holding my hand as if pleading for a chance.

"I hope to see you soon," he adds, softly stroking the back of my hand with his thumb. His touch sends a pleasant shiver down my spine.

"Goodnight, Mr. Simms," I say softly, managing a polite farewell before stepping out of the car and closing the door behind me.

Walking up to the house, I notice Elizabeth's car parked in the driveway. Unlocking the door, I enter and find her sitting on the couch, engrossed in reruns of "Survivor." I kick off my shoes and toss my purse on the kitchen counter before settling down on the couch beside her.

"Hey, Lizzie, you okay?" I inquire sincerely.

"Yeah, girl, I'm not sweating that douchebag," she replies nonchalantly. "I don't care what he says about me. I have raised Astor Cosmetics higher than any woman in this industry could imagine doing, even higher than what he has done for his company," she continues, her voice wavering slightly.

"I know, hun. You don't have to prove yourself to me; I was there through it all," I say gently, reminding her of our journey together.

"I know that it's not what he said that upset you; I know it was the uptight comment," I address the issue she's been wrestling with long before Ben's comments.

"Am I uptight, Jen?" Elizabeth asks, uncertainty evident in her voice. I can see she's contemplated this question long before tonight.

"I don't think you're uptight, Liz. I think you're logical and careful. You don't want to get hurt again after what Henry did to you," I offer my perspective, providing support and understanding.

She smiles softly, appreciating my reassurance. "I'm going to bed. Goodnight, girl," I  say, hugging her before heading upstairs.

As I make my way to my room, I can't help but hope that Elizabeth will find the strength to stand up for herself and resist the pressure from her parents. She deserves happiness on her own terms, not according to their business-driven agenda. I know that no matter what, I'll be by her side, supporting her through it all.

(Elizabeth's POV)

After Jen went to bed, I turned off the TV and laid on the sofa, unable to stop replaying what that jerk Benjamin had said to me and what Jen had mentioned about Henry. Henry was my ex-boyfriend, and we had been together for five years. I had even envisioned marrying him someday.

(Flashback - 2 years ago)

I invited Henry to my family reunion, and there, I discovered my cousin Amanda with her two-year-old daughter Kimmy. Amanda and I had always been close since childhood. I knew she had a boyfriend who was also Kimmy's father, but I hadn't met him yet. She had always mentioned he was busy with work, and I trusted her.