Chapter 5

(Elizabeth's POV)

The events of the tumultuous evening weighed heavily on my shoulders as I sought solace beneath the warmth of my shower. The torrent of hot water seemed to merge with my thoughts, soothing the ache that had settled in my body. With the steam enveloping me, I grappled with the labyrinthine maze of questions that consumed my mind. Was the proposed merger truly a wise path? Could Stephen's alleged affections be genuine? And what about Ben—his fervent declaration and the red-haired enigma, Deriah? The video Jen had shared, exposing Stephen's unexpected agenda, added a new layer of intrigue, unmasking a side of him I had never encountered.

As I massaged my body with the loofah, each stroke seemed to dislodge fragments of doubt and speculation. The doorbell's abrupt intrusion shattered the cocoon of introspection I had woven around myself.
"Who could that be?" My exasperated mutter punctuated the silence as I stepped from the tub, water cascading from my body. Hasty movements saw me tossing my damp curls into a messy ponytail, a towel snugly wrapped around me.

Opening the door revealed a surprising sight—an unsteady Ben, bloodied and battered, leaning heavily against the doorframe. Confusion and concern mingled within me.
"Ben? What brings you here?" My voice quivered with a mixture of curiosity and disbelief.
"I've come to apologize for disrupting your banquet," his speech slurred, a potent waft of whiskey preceding him as he struggled for support. My brow furrowed, bewildered by his unexpected appearance.
"Are you... intoxicated?" I inquired, disbelief tainting my tone.
"A few drinks at the bar, no biggie," his nonchalant response did little to alleviate my concern.
"You're bleeding," I pointed to his busted lip, my worry spiking. A realization dawned on him, and his eyes widened.
"Oh, shit, I am," his words tumbled out, and a wry chuckle escaped me.
"Come inside, sit down. I'll get my first aid kit," I urged, extending my hand to guide him into the house. He staggered through the doorway, his gaze fixed on me as if I held all the answers to his unspoken questions.

"I'll just grab some clothes and then I'll help you," I explained as I retreated to change. In a simple t-shirt and shorts, I returned with the first aid kit, finding Ben slouched on the couch. My fingers gently unwrapped a cotton ball soaked in hydrogen peroxide. The pungent scent filled the air as I dabbed at his wounds, his eyes tracing my every move.

"You've got a cut above your eye too," I mentioned, preoccupied by the task at hand. Carefully, I cleaned the wound, securing it with a butterfly stitch. As I moved to tend to his busted lip, his grip on my hand startled me. Our eyes met, a charged silence hanging between us.
"Did I hurt you?" I asked, my voice tinged with concern.
"No," his answer was neutral, a playful glint in his eyes that caught me off guard. He smirked in a way that was strangely alluring, and my cheeks warmed, betraying my composure.

"Your eyes, they're a captivating shade of hazel," his candid observation left me flustered, my reaction drawing laughter from him. A shared moment of amusement and vulnerability lightened the tension between us.
"Thank you," I replied, a bashful smile tugging at my lips as I continued my ministrations.

"No, thank you, Eliza," his husky voice held a note of longing that resonated deeply. The atmosphere shifted, thickening with unspoken emotions as he uttered those words.
"I assure you, Eliza, I won't hurt you," his sincerity was palpable as he held my gaze, his thumb brushing over my cheek. The world around us seemed to fade as he drew me closer, his lips a breath away from mine.

"Would you consider spending the night at my place again?" His whispered invitation hung in the air, and my heart raced, my mind grappling with the sudden turn of events.
"Why?" I whispered back, as if secrecy was necessary in the wake of our charged proximity.
"I want you to come," he confessed, the intensity of his desire radiating through his words.