Chapter 4

(Elizabeth's POV)

As the clock's hands inch towards five o'clock, I fidget on the sofa while Jennifer applies the final touches to her red lips in front of the mirror. Her blonde hair is elegantly coiled into a bun, and her black off-shoulder dress fits her like a glove. I'm taken aback by her level of dressing up – she usually doesn't go all out like this, but tonight seems different.

"Why the special attire tonight?" I inquire, curiosity getting the best of me.
"Just felt like looking nice," she dismisses nonchalantly.
"Oh, come on! Who's the lucky guy from the office?" I nudge, playfully raising an eyebrow.
"Nobody, seriously," she retorts, cheeks blushing a faint pink.
"Spill it!" I insist.
"Alright, fine. It's Andrew," she confesses, averting her gaze.
"Andrew? Ben's buddy? Now that's unexpected," I quip.
"I told him I wasn't interested – birds of a feather, you know. But he's actually quite interesting. Smart, funny... We have a lot in common. I'm just wary of wasting my time," she rambles.
"Give it a shot. You deserve to be happy, Jen. Besides, if he's the right one for you, it's a surefire way to escape the arranged marriage fate my parents are plotting for me," I advise, hoping she considers it.

"Enough about me. Look at you, stunning!" Jennifer exclaims, breaking into my thoughts. My curly brown hair is elegantly pinned up, framing my face with a pearl hair clip nestled to the side. I'm wearing a royal blue silk dress that plunges into a V-neckline, with a daring high thigh slit – a look I'm quite used to pulling off.
"Thanks, Jen. Tried my best," I chuckle. She's about to reply when the doorbell rings.
"I'll get it," I volunteer, rushing to the door. As I swing it open, there stands Benjamin looking incredibly dapper. His dark brown hair is slicked into a neat man bun, and his once unruly beard has been tamed to perfection. To my surprise, he's wearing a blue slim-fit suit with a black tie – it's as though we planned to match.

"Are you going to stare all night or let us in?" he smirks.
I shake my head, breaking out of my trance.
"Who's 'us'?" I ask.
"Hey, girl!" Andrew chimes in, his voice a bit higher than usual. Suppressing a laugh, I give Andrew and then Ben a playful eye roll.
"Come on in, we're just about ready." Andrew breezes past me and heads into the living room, but Ben lingers, still looking at me.
"What's caught your attention?" I inquire, slightly bemused.
"You look divine," he rasps, a slight flush creeping onto my cheeks.
"Thank you, Mr. Baldwin," I respond, a coy smile forming.
"It's small," he states, his voice taking on a more serious tone.
"Excuse me?" I'm puzzled.
"Your house. It's smaller than I expected," he explains.
"I believe in the beauty of simplicity. Jen and I manage the house ourselves – no housekeepers. It keeps things grounded," I explain.
"Would you want to live at my house?" he throws the idea out there.
"Who said anything about moving in with you?" I retort, perhaps more curtly than intended.
"You're to be my wife, aren't you?" he asserts.
"I'm not so sure about that yet," I counter. The atmosphere tightens, and his smirk vanishes, replaced with a frown.
"Let's go or we'll be late," he suggests, the arrogance returning to his voice. I turn to gather Jennifer and Andrew, realizing they've been listening to our conversation the whole time. A knowing look passes between Jennifer and me as I lead them all towards the door.

"Uber, anyone? I plan on getting a bit tipsy tonight," Jennifer giggles. Andrew's eyes widen comically, and Ben stands there, smirking.
"I've arranged transportation," Ben interjects, just as a sleek black limousine pulls up in front of my house.
"Perfect, let's roll!" Jennifer exclaims, linking her arm with Andrew's and practically dragging him towards the limo. Her carefree personality brings a smile to my face, and I shake my head in amusement. Adjusting my dress, I prepare to step into the limo, and to my surprise, Ben assists me inside.

"Thank you," I murmur.
"You're welcome," he replies, his voice firm but lacking his earlier arrogance. My thoughts wander briefly, wondering if I misunderstood him. The limo ride to the charity banquet is mostly quiet, save for Jennifer and Andrew's hushed conversations. Upon arrival, the driver opens the door, and we step onto the red carpet that leads into the grand hall.