Chapter 3: When Avoiding Fails

Kayla's P.O.V

I pushed my way through the throngs of people at baggage claim, and managed to wrestle my bags off the conveyor belt. I found a cart and wheeled it out toward the pickup area.

I hated airports. I swear people walked inside and lost any and all common sense.I stood on my toes and looked for her red ford. I waved, and she pulled up to the curb in front of me.

"Kayla, I've missed you so much! You look fantastic. Oh my gosh your hair. It looks great, I always knew you'd look great with short hair!" Paige practically tackled me in her attempt to hug me.

"I missed you too. I want to hear all about your year" I loaded my bags into Paige's trunk and climbed into the passenger seat.

"It was great. I'm still dating Stephen, and it's been over a year. He's great and I love UNC more and more each year" Paige was currently studying to be a vet at UNC, which meant she was close to home. She was able to still work part time at her parents' veterinary practice, which she would eventually take over one day. She had her whole life figured out and she had a boyfriend that she was madly in love with.

"That's great! I'm so happy for you. How's everyone back home?" I asked as I took in all the familiarity of North Carolina out the window.

"They're great. Your mom got promoted, though I'm sure you already knew that. Charlotte is getting so big. I'm telling you that girl is going to be a heartbreaker when she gets older, just like her big sister. Tyler is interning at some big law firm this summer. He's going to be a great lawyer" Paige rambled.

She and Tyler decided to mutually end their relationship at the end of senior year. They didn't want to mess with a long distance relationship. Surprisingly they were still close friends and talked regularly.

"Tyler will be a great lawyer. We called that one after our big debate in AP Lit senior year. No one could beat him" I thought back to that class.

"That was my favorite class of the whole year, and I don't even like English. You, Tyler, Jake, and I all in one class, I mean it didn't get any better than that" Paige reminisced.

"It'll be great to see Tyler again, I'm so glad you two are still friends" I fiddled with the radio.

"Just Tyler? Do you mean to tell me that you and Jake still haven't had a sane conversation?" Paige screeched to a stop at a red light.

"Not talking is working just fine for us" I was so sick of talking about this. Three times in the past two weeks was three times too many.

"You're going to have to deal with this sooner or later and you know it" Paige lectured me as we pulled up in front of my house.

"I'll go with later" I jumped out of the car before Paige could respond. Within a matter of seconds a, not so little, bundle of blonde hair barreled into my arms.

"Kayla you're finally home" Charlotte latched onto my neck and refused to let go.

"Finally I know! How has my best friend been?" I picked her up despite the fact that she wasn't a tiny little seven year old anymore.

"Oh I'm great, a little tired, but overall pretty good" Paige shrugged.Charlotte and I looked up at her with a mutual seriously dude look on our faces.

"I wasn't talking to you weirdo I was talking to Char" I ruffled Paige's hair as she frowns.

"Don't worry Paige we can both be Kayla's best friends" Charlotte was still locked around my neck.

"True, but you'll always be her #1 Char" Paige winked at me.

"My name's Charlotte. Kayla are you home for a long time this time?" Charlotte asked. I couldn't believe after all these years she still wouldn't let Paige call her Char.