Chapter 9: Disaster Dates

"Hey Ang I wish I could catch up right now, but I have a date in twenty minutes, and I have no idea what to wear. I'm dressed for CPK, but now he wants to take me to some romantic little Italian restaurant, and there is no way I can show up in jeans" I had the phone cradled between my ear and my shoulder while I was tearing my closet apart.

"Looks like you're going to have to wear a dress. Man I wish I could be there to see your face right now" how nice of her to mock my dislike of dresses at a time like this.

"Yes I have to wear a dress, and you know I have very few options. So do I go with the navy blue A- line dress or the purple and white maxi dress?" I frantically put my phone on speaker while I curled my hair.

"Go with the navy blue A- line. You look great in that, and it goes perfectly with your gold strappy wedges" Angela basically had my whole wardrobe memorized.

"What would I do without you?" I threw the dress on, added some gold jewelry to match, finished my hair, and ran downstairs with my wedges in my hand.

" You would look like a disaster on your date, but I'm sure he'd think you were gorgeous even without my genius" Angela gloated as I strapped my shoes on and sat down on the stairs with thirty seconds to spare.

"You're the best. Thanks Ang, miss you girl. I have to go, talk to you later" it was hard not living with her and seeing her every day.

"Miss you to. I expect full details later" Angela demanded right before I hung up the phone. Barely a second later the doorbell rang.

"Wow, Kayla you look beautiful" Scott just kind of stood there on the front steps staring at me. I blushed, compliments always made me blush.

"Thank you. You're lucky I even have clothes on with you switching the restaurant on me at the last minute" I shoved him playfully as I followed him out to his car.

"I'm sorry, but they have live music tonight, and I thought that would be more fun than just dinner. Besides seeing you in that dress was worth the switch" Scott held my door open for me. I ducked my head to hide my blush at another compliment.

We sat out on the patio of the restaurant. Twinkling lights were strung over a canopy above all the tables. There was a band in the corner, and the tables were far enough apart that it gave the illusion that it was just Scott and I sitting there under the lights.

"So tell me about your life" Scott began after we ordered drinks.

"That's a very open ended question" I didn't even know how to answer that.

"Who is Kayla Ryans? I just met you and I know practically nothing about you" Scott's eyes were locked on mine, and I swear I could stare into them for hours.

"Well I grew up with my mom and my little sister Charlotte. She is my favorite person in the whole world. I've played volleyball for ten years, and right now I play at John Hopkins. I have an unhealthy obsession with mac & cheese and Netflix. After college I'm going to live in Seattle, have two kids, and be the best cardio surgeon in the business. Then when I retire I'm going to more to the French Riviera" I didn't realize how crazy that all sounded until after it all spilled out of my mouth.

"Wow a girl with a plan, impressive" Scott seemed more surprised than impressed, but I was known for making plans.

"Your turn. Tell me about your life" I couldn't help but look around again. I couldn't believe I had never been to this restaurant before, it was perfect.

"Well I grew up two towns over from here with my two sisters and my parents. I played Basketball and golf in high school. Used to get into all kinds of trouble with my friends, but then I decided to give up my wayward ways to save lives" Scott gave me that charming smile, which would probably have made me melt a bit inside if I wasn't distracted by the people coming out on the patio.