Chapter 8: Are All Boys This Confusing?

"Wow someone's tired" I plopped down next to Hannah in the conference room where all the interns were gathering as she let out a huge yawn.

"I wish I could say I had a date or was being productive last night, but in reality I was watching Netflix until 2 am" Hannah confessed.

"I had to third wheel with my best friend and her boyfriend. They were oozing love all over the place. It's like someone kept punching me saying 'you're single and lonely' all night long" I groaned.

"That's the worst. I mean meeting the best friend's boyfriend is important and all, but no one said it was fun" Hannah patted my back reassuringly as more interns filed into the room.

"You know what the worst part is? They're really happy and it's the whole 'better together than they would be apart'. I mean if they weren't so dang happy I could stay strong on the whole 'single and proud of it', but now a little part of me wants what they have, and I can't shut her up" I admitted.

"Hola amigas. What are you two gossiping about this morning" Scott, who was eating Froot Loops despite the fact that he was 21 years old, sat down next to me.

"Kayla's jealous of how happy and in looovvveee her friend is. Gosh darn it's such a bummer we don't know any single guys who are interested in Kayla" Hannah attempted to say nonchalantly before making up some excuse about having to find a Christmas card in the gift shop even though it was the middle of July.

Great now Scott was going to think I liked him and Hannah was hinting at him to ask me out, even though she was.

"So you're the jealous type huh?" Scott raised his eyebrows in question before offering me some of his Froot Loops.

"What? No. Hannah's crazy you can't believe a word she says. I think she's onto something buying Christmas cards early. I'm sure she's getting a huge discount. I should probably go to the gift shop and take advantage of that. Gotta go bye" I practically ran out of the room. Subtle Kayla, real subtle. Why am I going to med school when I should clearly be pursuing my acting career?

I was chatting with an eight year old boy with Epilepsy while updating his chart when I heard obnoxious laughter from the hallway.

Scott was looking right at me, but as soon as I turned around he looked at a nurse next to him and started laughing as if she said the funniest thing in the world. Clearly something was up because he kept stealing glances at me as he flirted with her.

"So Mikey when was your last seizure?" I tried to ignore what was going on in the hallway.

"This morning at six. It wasn't as bad as some of the other ones though" Mikey was running his trucks and toys up and down rails on his hospital bed.

"Mikey my man how's the girlfriend?" Scott came in and did some handshake with Mikey they came up with.

"She's good" Mikey seemed to be choosing his words carefully.

"She's probably insanely jealous that you have such a beautiful doctor" Scott was even worse of an actor than I was. He winked at Mikey letting me know they must've rehearsed this whole thing earlier that morning.

"She's definitely really jealous, but you know what makes her feel better? Going on a date with the guy she's crazy jealous about" Mikey was holding back a laugh.

"You're eight! Do you even go on dates at your age?" I threw my hands up in the air in an attempt to get them to stop this whole charade.

"Mikey is a total stud of course he goes on dates. Now back to your jealousy issues... I mean Mikey's girlfriend's jealousy issues" Scott stuttered as he tried to recover from his slip.