Chapter 5: Old Friends & Old Fights

Kayla's POV

Volleyball Camp for the munchkins was every Tuesday and Thursday so two days later I was back at the beach.

I was not a morning person and was currently attempting to untangle one of the nets, which was not helping my mood.

"Easy there tiger, we're supposed to put the nets up not manhandle them" Paige walked up behind me and I could tell she was trying not to laugh at my current situation.

"I am not in the mood for your sass this morning young lady" I scowled at her as I pulled the last knot apart.

"Well I brought you coffee from Dunkin so I would be nicer to Paige if I were you" she waved the iced coffee in my face. I snatched it out of her hand and took a huge sip. Ahh the beauty of caffeine.

"I always knew I kept you around for some reason. Oh and don't talk about yourself in the third person, it's creepy" I grinned at her, pecked her on the cheek, and finished putting up my net. She knew all of that translated to thank you, and I don't know what I'd do without you.

The day passed pretty uneventfully, until the end of course. The kids still ran around like maniacs, I still failed to remember all of their names, and Billy still tried to hit on girls ten years older than him. He didn't give up easily, and of course in the typical Jones brother fashion, his brother didn't either.

When it was time for all the kids to go home, Blake came sauntering up with his dark sunglasses and his overly gelled hair. He took his "flow" a little too seriously.

"Hey gorgeous what time should I pick you up tomorrow?" he wrapped his arm around my waist as if we weren't perfect strangers. I wiggled out from under his arm.

"Do you even know my name?" I propped my hands on my hips and squared up so I was closer to his height.

"Of course. It's Kayla?" he didn't sound very confident and it came out more like a question.

"Correct and Kayla said no the first time around, and asking her every day is not going to change her mind" I insisted.

Instead of finding his brother and taking him home he snaked his arm around my waist again.

"Listen babe we all know this is going to end with you saying yes, so why don't you make life easier on the both of us and just give in sooner?" he flashed me another toothy grin as if that would change my mind.

Suddenly a tall guy wearing aviators came up on Blake's other side and wrapped his arm around Blake's waist.

"What the hell man? Get your hands off me" Blake shoved him away.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Do you not like it when strangers put their hands all over you without your consent? Because it looked to me like you were doing that to Kayla so I assumed you were fine if people did that to you" the guy took his aviators off and I sighed in relief when I recognized him.

"Whatever man. I'm out of here. Billy let's go" Blake shouted as he stalked away.

"Where'd you find that idiot?"

"Tyler it's so good to see you!" I jumped into his arms for a hug.

"You too Kay! It's been too long" he smiled down at me, and I realized how much I missed him. Tyler and I became pretty close since he and Paige dated for so long. He was still one of the funniest guys I knew, but he had grown up during the past four years.

"What have you been up to? We need to catch up" I insisted.

"I think that's a great idea. Why don't we go out to lunch, so we can all catch up?" Paige came up behind us and wrapped her arms around our necks.