Chapter 18: New People Old Places

"How long are you guys staying?" I asked when the four of us finally got our food at the Beach Shack.

"A little less than two weeks" Angela took her first bite of a Beach Shack burger and her eyes went wide.

"Told you these were the best burgers ever made" Paige was videotaping the whole thing.

"Alright Jeremy your turn" I watched as Paige turned the camera on him, and he had the same reaction as Angela.

"Wow I'd move here just so I could eat these burgers every day" Jeremy mumbled through a mouth full of burger.

"Then you'd weigh about 600 pounds" as I sat there laughing at the look on his face, I realized how lucky I was to have these people in my life.

Ever since third grade Paige has always been there for me. We went through everything together. Elementary school, the dramatic middle school years, those first terrifying days of high school, our first homecoming, driving, prom, graduation, and even college didn't drive us apart. She was by my side through every big milestone in my life so far.

I could barely remember a time without Paige. She was my rock. We balanced each other. She was the dreamer and I kept her grounded. I was the planner, and she inspired me to make some crazy plans. She made the good times better, and the hard times easier. When my dad left when I was eleven Paige got me through it despite the fact that she was a child herself. When boys broke our hearts, no matter how many times we swore we would never let them, we made fun of cheesy movies and bashed on said heartbreaker to help get each other through it.

My relationship with Paige reminds me that time brings people closer and forms inseparable bonds, but Angela and Jeremy taught me how easy it is to fall into friendship with the right people.

I was the common denominator between the two of them, but by November of freshman year the three of us were inseparable.

We struggled through the homesickness together, sleepless nights, all nighters cramming for finals, our first college parties, spring break road trips, and every other college first. My firsts became our firsts. Angela and I lived together, and Jeremy spent every waking hour in our room. Angela and I never missed one of his football games, and they were the most obnoxious fans at every one of my games. When Angela won one of the most prestigious awards at Johns Hopkins, Jeremy and I were kicked out of the awards ceremony for cheering too loudly.

Kayla, Angela, and Jeremy take on the world, or at least Baltimore.

"Hello Kayla? You in there?" Jeremy was waving his hand in front of my face. I shook my head and refocused on the three people in front of me who I was just thinking about.

You know how sometimes when you zone out you end up staring at someone, and then when you come back to reality it gets really awkward? Well apparently when I zoned out I was staring at some guy who used to go to my high school whose name I can't remember. It's safe to say he gave me a pretty weird look.

"Sorry, so we need a plan for what we're going to do while you guys are here" I grinned and stole some of Paige's French fries.

"Not another plan" the three of them groaned simultaneously.

"Seriously? Oh come on you're all exaggerating" I rolled my eyes and flicked a French fry at each of them

"Oh please you make plans for your days off and when you're going to do laundry. It's excessive" Angela received nods of agreement from Paige and Jeremy. I take back everything nice I ever said about them.

"I'm just trying to make sure we don't waste our time together. I've never liked you guys"

"Oh please you love us. I'm actually going to go visit an old family friend who lives near here on Wednesday, so don't have too much fun without me" Jeremy winked.