Chapter Forty-Two: Recontextualization

For a long time, silence hung heavy in the air.

Nelrein checked her watch, and Kiyora looked in surprise. She was wondering what she was waiting for. Belora put back the laptop and leaned back in her chair, putting her arms just under her chest. "Okay, you first need to know that I am not working for the Demoration Intelligence Agency."

"I'm finding that hard to believe, Belora," said Kiyora.

"Then why is someone infused with your unique power signature working for them?" asked Nelrein, moving to lean on the wall to one side. "Lazula is saturated with your power."

"Lazula..." Belora halted. "Isn't real."

"What do you mean?" asked Nelrein.

"She isn't a real person," said Belora. "Souls cannot be created or destroyed. It is a fundamental law of the universe. They come to the universe through the Soul Event Horizon. And they leave through there as well.

"Lazula is an android intended to perfectly mimic human life.

"I infused her with my power to allow her to complete the mimicry. I was only a kid at the time. But I've done many different experiments since then. I've never created something with a soul. Even when using the same techniques.

"I'm a much better scientist now than then."

"Okay, this is all great," said Kiyora. "But I have another question; What do we want?"

They looked up. Nelrein raised an eyebrow. "To represent the interests of the Dreamer Empire."

"But how are we doing that?" said Kiyora. "This entire thing has been a completely unfocused mess. We are a trio of sexy space elves observing and interfering with events. Are we for the Demoration? Against it?

"Do we want Relma to be a puppet? To rule in her own right? Or do we want her gone?

"Who are we, and what have we come here to do?

Silence.

"We are part of a military organization," said Nelrein. "Our job is to represent the Emperor and the Empire. As well as their subjects. That is all."

"That can mean a lot of things, Nelrein," said Kiyora. "Do we want to bring Erian into the fold? Set up contacts there for a gradual assimilation? We could try to raise it as an independent proxy power.

"Is Dakan our enemy? A guy we're trying to help? Or an ally."

"I see no reason not to take him out the second he lands," said Nelrein.

"What?!" said Belora. "That's a terrible plan!

"Do you know what could happen if we take a guns-blazing approach out here? Why do you think we've been helping Bastille?"

"Stop," said Kiyora. "As the Dreaming Goddess, I take orders from myself and no one else. As Kiyora Yagos, I'm a loyal servant of the Emperor, formerly your average high-school girl."

"You're a far-right religious fundamentalist libertarian. Your parents believe in one man, one wife," noted Nelrein. "You advocate for harsh punishment of criminals and believe in decentralizing power. And you are obsessed with maintaining your power."

"Like I said," said Kiyora. "Your average high-school girl. Everyone is in favor of collectivism until they have to share their toys.

"The Dreaming Goddess does not want an off-world takeover of Erian. She won't help anyone who moves troops there or tries to trap the place.

"That's why Vow exists, isn't it?"

"Vow?" asked Belora, raising.

"The other avatar," said Nelrein. "You remember the one from Taurus. She blocked Kiyora's sight at several points." Wait, so Nelrein remembered Vow, and Belora didn't?