22 | the criminal cooks

22.

the criminal cooks

AS AKARI STROLLED down the quiet street, her mind buzzed with excitement about the impending auction. The day had been a flurry of activity, finalizing decor and ensuring everything was set for the grand event. As the clock neared nine, Akari bid her friends at the sorority house farewell.

Ha-eun was staying overnight with Fleur and will be meeting her directly at the auction. Akari relished the solitude of the night with Julian, the faint hum of the town serenading her thoughts. Each step echoed the rhythmic beats of her excitement, creating an atmosphere tinged with both thrill and curiosity.

As Akari continued down the dimly lit street, she recalled her sharing with Julian the details of the upcoming auction, emphasizing Alexander Jones' unexpected participation. Julian's eyes had sparkled with an eagerness that had mirrored her own. The promise of his identity being hidden behind a mask was enough for Julian to come.

Amid her thoughts, Akari felt a subtle shift in the air, a gentle murmur beneath the hushed city sounds. Her senses tingled with awareness, a realisation slowly settling in – she was not alone.

Faint footsteps, reached her ears. Memories of the previous encounter flashed before her – footsteps, the feeling of being followed. A chill danced down her spine, and her gaze flickered to the shadowy spaces around her. Swiftly connecting the dots, Akari realized she wasn't alone. The presence of an unseen companion became palpable, intertwining curiosity with a subtle sense of unease.

She continued her journey, navigating the deserted street with a newfound wariness.

As Akari approached her apartment building, the rhythm of her steps quickened in tandem with the loudening echoes of the footsteps trailing behind her.

A voice cut through the air, a desperate "Hey!" leaving Akari startled. Panic surged through her veins, and without second thoughts, she broke into a sprint. The urgency of her steps echoed in the quiet street as she raced towards the entrance, her heart pounding in sync with her hurried breaths.

She dared not glance back, solely focused on reaching the haven of her apartment building. The footsteps persisted, a relentless pursuit that fueled Akari's determination. The entrance loomed closer, and with a swift motion, she darted inside, slipping through the closing doors of the lift.

A sigh of relief escaped her lips as the lift ascended, putting distance between her and the mysterious follower. Akari finally allowed herself a moment to catch her breath, her mind still racing with the unsettling encounter in the darkened streets. The safety of her apartment and Julian awaited.

Akari swiftly entered her apartment, her breaths still rapid from the run. The familiar warmth and safety of her living room greeted her, and there, amidst the cozy glow of the television, sat Julian, engrossed in a program. The sight of him brought an immediate calm to her racing heart.

"Hey," Julian greeted, glancing over his shoulder to see Akari. However, the serenity he had expected was replaced by the palpable tension etched across her face.

Without a word, Akari moved to sit beside Julian on the couch, the adrenaline coursing through her veins not yet subsided. Julian sensed her unease, his protective instincts kicking in.

"You okay?" he asked, turning off the TV and giving her his full attention.

Akari remained silent, her gaze fixed on some distant point. The silence hung in the air, thick with unspoken worry.