23 | the criminal attends

23.

the criminal attends

IN THE QUIET hours before the auction, Akari and Julian huddled in their room, surrounded by the array of papers and strings on their makeshift crime board. The room was dimly lit, with a faint glow coming from the small lamp on Akari's desk.

Akari began, glancing at the cluttered board, "We need to finalize our plans for tonight. You going back to your trailer is risky, but we need to get your laptop."

Julian's laptop is literally a digital vault filled with evidence exposing his father's hidden drug empire. It contains a collection of documents, encrypted messages, and financial transactions meticulously gathered over months. This digital arsenal serves as their key to unveiling the truth and seeking justice.

Julian nodded, running a hand through his tousled hair. "Yeah, I get it. It's a one-shot deal. Once the auction starts, people will be too distracted for anyone to notice me slipping away."

"Half the town will be there," Akari nodded.

"Exactly, so, I can grab my laptop and be back before anyone realizes I'm gone." Julian smiled.

Julian had been avoiding a trip to his trailer house due to the increased scrutiny from the authorities. Being a prime suspect in his father's murder case, his every move was monitored. The constant surveillance on his residence made it nearly impossible to retrieve the crucial evidence hidden in his laptop.

They strategically decided to take advantage of the auction night, knowing that the presence of law enforcement at the event would divert attention, providing a window of opportunity to slip into the trailer unnoticed. The chaos of the auction offered a cover that Julian hadn't had before, making it the opportune moment to take his laptop.

As Akari traced a string on the board connecting various pieces of information, Julian couldn't help but interrupt the serious atmosphere with a teasing remark. "You know, you're quite impressive, Akari. Master strategist, plus you look stunning in that skirt."

Akari rolled her eyes, giving Julian a whack on the head with her rolled newspaper. "Flattery won't get you out of planning, Mr. Jones." She shook her head. "Now, the second plan involves keeping an eye on Alexander Jones. I need you to observe him closely, look for anything suspicious."

Julian shifted his expression from playful to focused. "Right, Alexander. I'll watch him like a hawk."

"If we nail these two plans, tonight ends peacefully," Akari took a seat on the couch, sighing.

Her anticipation for the auction night was palpable. "I've never done anything like this before," she confessed to Julian with a hint of excitement. The anticipation of the unknown brought a spark to her life that she hadn't experienced before.

Julian found her reaction cute. "You know, if this was any other night, under normal circumstances, I'd take you out dancing in your beautiful dress." He paused. "But tonight, duty calls."

Akari smiled, rolling her eyes. "Focus. We have a murderer to catch."

—————————

'THE 35TH ANNUAL Enchanté Masquerade Gala Auction' the poster read. Akari stepped into the grand hall, adorned in an elegant gown that accentuated her grace.