so far from you

When you lived next door to a boy with the exact same interests as you it was almost impossible to not immediately become best friends. Gerard Way and I met in the 5th grade when his family moved here in the middle of the summer vacation.

To me, he was the coolest guy I'd ever met in my entire short lived life. We were attached at the hip from our first interaction when his mom brought him and his kid brother Mikey over for a playdate. As we grew up, our interests evolved but they always stayed similar.

We'd spend our summers together riding our bikes through vast fields, going as far as we could before sundown, swimming in the lake behind the forest and eating ice pops in the front yard.

We'd spend our winters cooped up in Gerard's basement room playing video games, watching movies (usually star wars) and drinking a ridiculous amount of hot cocoa.

Throughout the year we spent every friday night at one of our houses for a sleepover.

And that had been it for the past 7 years. I'd never felt as alone as I did now. I wasn't used to such cruel solitude.

On our first sleepover of the summer, Gerard had left in the middle of the night.

It started off as usual, we played some video games, read comics and then watched a movie. But as 'The Empire Strikes Back' drew a near end, I grew more and more exhausted and began to lean into my friend. His body tensed up.

His breathing became shallow and fast, he woke me immediately as he shoved me harshly off him. Something was clearly wrong, he was so frantic, so frightened and rushed out of my room and into the night.

He didn't respond to my calls or my texts, ignoring my every attempt to contact him.After 2 days I decided to simply call round for him, being that his own home was 5 steps from my own. His brother Mikey opened the door which was unusual enough.

I love Mikey like he's my own brother but i'd never been as close with him as I'd been with Gerard, it was just different. He looked exhausted like he hadn't slept in days and opened the door very hesitantly.

"Frank, hey man, what are you doing here?" He asks with much hesitation and concern in his voice looking back through the door with an attempted sense of discretion.His question irked me, whenever I came by I was let in instantly. Donna (The Way brother's mom) insisted I should just let myself in but my own mom had instilled many values in me when I was little it felt criminal to do so.

"I came to check on Gerard" I explained "Is he around?" I asked hopefully

"Nah sorry he just went out" He lied

"His car is still in the drive" I tell him jerking my head to Gerard's transam only a few inches from where I stood.

"He walked" He lied again

"Where to? I'll meet him halfway" I say refusing to let this go and accept Mikey's lies

"I-"

"Mikey let me see him" I hear an all too familiar voice call from the stairwell. Gerard was very clearly at home.

I give Mikey a confused look, my brow furrowed as I try to understand why this guy just lied to my face.

"Give him some time Frank. Trust me, this is for the best" And with that he slams the door, a lock clicking soon after.

I didn't see Gerard for the rest of summer, until I did about 3 weeks before the start of the semester.I'd been trying to find something to do now that I'd been discarded by the Way's. After moping around for 2 weeks, i snuck out around 2:30am. I thought a walk to clear my mind would help me relax a bit, I should just have stayed at home.I took extra care to close the front door as quietly as I could, if my mom heard me going out at this hour I'd surely be scolded for an eternity upon my return.