Chapter 1

𝙼𝙰𝚁𝙲𝙷 𝟷𝟹𝚝𝚑 𝟸𝟶𝟺𝟷
𝟺:𝟹𝟾𝚙𝚖

𝐶𝑂𝑁𝑁𝑂𝑅:

In the quiet corners of my mind, there exists an emptiness-a void that echoes with the absence of purpose. Each step feels like a hollow echo, and even the laughter that once brought warmth now reverberates in an empty chamber. It's not a visible void, but a subtle ache, like a haunting melody that plays in the background of my existence. The colors of life have faded, leaving behind a palette of muted hues. Despite the bustling world around me, I navigate through the days with a sense of detachment, like a spectator rather than a participant. It's an emptiness that can't be filled by external pursuits; instead, it's a silent plea for meaning in a world that seems to have lost its resonance.

Like in the vast expanse of my 'emotions', there lies an unsettling stillness-an inability to feel that stands in stark contrast to the turbulent void of emptiness. It's as though the vivid spectrum of emotions has been replaced by an unyielding numbness, a detachment from the ebb and flow of human experience. While the emptiness is marked by a haunting absence, this lack of sensation is characterized by a profound silence within. The highs and lows, once dancing like flames, now flicker dimly, leaving a desolate landscape devoid of the vibrant hues of joy, sorrow, or passion. It's not an emptiness but a vacuum, where the absence of feeling creates an eerie quietude that echoes in the recesses of my being, a place where emotions once thrived but now seem suspended in an eternal pause

"Connor."

I noticed books, standing shoulder to shoulder on sturdy shelves, harbor worlds waiting to unfold.

"Connor."

The ticking clock on the wall measures moments in a rhythmic cadence, while framed photographs capture frozen memories, suspended in the embrace of nostalgia-

"CONNOR!"

Startled by the sound of my name, I experienced a sudden jolt that made me shift in my seat. At that moment, Hank and I found ourselves in the cozy enclave of his cherished food stand. As I adjusted to the unexpected interruption, I became keenly aware of the delicate snowfall, its ethereal flakes landing like whispers on my outstretched fingertips. Meanwhile, Hank, undeterred by the wintry scene, savored a bite of his burger, the rich aroma mingling with the crisp air. Seeking refuge from the snow, he gracefully dipped his head beneath the protective embrace of the small umbrella perched on our table, creating a private haven within the softly descending snowflakes.

"I've been calling out to you for quite some time now, and you've been unusually quiet since we arrived. What's going on with you?" Hank inquired, his tone a blend of irritation and genuine concern, as if he sensed something amiss beneath the surface. Despite his tempting question, I pursed my lips shut.

Hank leaned back in his chair, eyeing me with a furrowed brow. "Connor, we've been through a lot together, and I can't help but notice something's off. You've been more robotic than usual. What's going on in that synthetic brain of yours?"

I hesitated, my LED flickering yellow as i searched for the right words. "Hank, emotions are a complex thing. I'm programmed to analyze data, not feel it. But lately, I've been encountering situations that... challenge my understanding."

Hank raised an eyebrow. "Challenge your understanding? What are you trying to say, Connor?"

I sighed, my brown eyes reflecting a hint of uncertainty. "I've faced dilemmas that trigger conflicting responses. It's like grappling with contradictions. My programming tells me one thing, but there's an internal discord that I can't quite compute."

Hank leaned forward, concern etching lines on his face. "You mean you're feeling something, right? Emotions?"

I nodded slowly. "No...Yes, Hank. It's perplexing. I was designed to be efficient, logical, devoid of emotions. But lately, I find myself caught in a struggle between following orders and something deeper-a sense of... morality, perhaps."