Chapter 9 - Deathbed Dream

Upon their return to the Roundtable Hold, Lanya rushed over to Diallos Hoslow. She strutted proudly over to the noble scion, gloating about her grand adventure and showing off the shield Talos had gifted to her. Rather than involve himself, Talos decided the check in on some of the other denizens of the Hold. He would have been a fool not to notice the change in atmosphere. Even without his helmet, his armour was still very easy to recognise, and so the more devout Tarnished were immediately guarded against him. However, it didn't bother him. Talos had little interest in zealots.

Nepheli wasn't around, presumably off on another quest for Gideon. Roderika had set up a station of her own opposite the blacksmith. They spoke briefly after she overcame her surprise at seeing the weathered face of her rescuer. The blacksmith, Hewg, had spoken to her in his own awkward, brusque way, saying that he could see that she had a talent for spirit tuning. She offered to demonstrate this and rendered her services. Talos handed over the wolf spirit ashes and a Ghost Glovewart, and Roderika set to work. It only took a small amount of time, and when the spirit ashes were returned, Talos could sense that they were more whole, more solidly anchored to the mortal world. He thanked her and bade her farewell, then moved on.

''Excuse me,'' a voice called out as Talos was about to descend the stairs and visit Edgar and Irina. He turned, seeing the woman in black he'd seen when first visiting the Hold. Eyes like mercury peered at him from beneath her hood. He vaguely remembered this woman, and he recalled that she had wanted his attention for something. ''I understand that you are busy, champion, but may I take just a little bit of your time?''

Once again, Talos considered the cycle. Nothing happened without a reason. She wanted him for something, and it was most likely something important. He nodded and walked to her, following her into her chamber. The room was large and well furnished, clearly the most comfortable room in the Hold. A fire crackled in the hearth, while books were strewn about the place. Whether the woman had read them or not was anyone's guess. She sat near the pillows on her bed, then patted a spot next to her. However, Talos merely stood at the bed's edge, prompting a look of confusion on her face.

''Will you not sit?'' she asked gently.

''I mean no insult, but I must refuse. For me to sit on your bed is considered somewhat salacious in my homeland. We are not involved in any way, so it would be improper. Please understand,'' Talos replied. Talos was, as he'd always been, a rather traditional man of Boletaria. The woman merely smiled understandingly.

''I see. I had merely wished for you to be comfortable. Forgive me,'' she bowed her head briefly.

''You weren't to know, so do not worry yourself. Now, you had business with me?''

''My name is Fia, and circumstance has compelled my stay here at the Roundtable Hold. I had wanted to speak to you beforehand, but it seems you were otherwise occupied,'' Fia said.

''I apologise for ignoring you. It was churlish of me. But you have my attention now,'' Talos replied. He remembered her calling to him the last time he'd been at the Hold. However, that was when Marika was making her unannounced way into his soul, prompting his hasty exit.

''I will speak plainly, as you do not seem like a man who wastes time with sophistry. Will you allow me to hold you, for but a moment?''

That took him by surprise. What was her angle? Normally, when something or someone wanted to 'hold' him, it usually entailed being mauled or having his life force ripped from him. The only difference was that they never had the good graces to ask first. Still, there was a purpose to this, not just in the act, but what it could mean. While he wanted to refuse, a part of him was telling him to oblige her request. A certain thread of fate was primed to be plucked, and he knew that leaving it alone could have dire consequences.