Chapter 10 - Honour to the Red Lion

The crimson sky was sombre that day. Dark and heavier, it was as if the sky knew what was coming, of the blood about to be spilled. From all over the Lands Between, people of all kinds moved in pilgrimage towards Redmane Castle, the bastion overlooking Radahn's haunt. The fallen general's soldiers and knights, clinging to their loyalty yet knowing what had to be done, were even more ferocious and vigilant in their purging of the land, clearing the roads of the aberrant creatures spawned by the Rot. They piled the corpses, raising some on stakes to mark the path toward the castle.

Warriors of Godrick, knights, soldiers, exiles, all made their way from Limgrave in search of a purpose and a challenge, now freed from their service to the deranged Demigod. Likewise, the scattered remnants of the Knights of the Cuckoo had fled Liurnia, cutting a gratuitous, rapacious path across Limgrave as they ventured to the blighted lands of Caelid.

They all knew what they were doing and what awaited them. War horns sounded a clarion call across the red wastes, signalling to the caravan of glory seekers. Some, more eager for blood than others, passed their time by joining the remnants of Radahns Redmanes by hunting the mutated beasts.

On a ridge overlooking the pestilent expanse, Talos sat atop Torrent and watched as a procession of steel marched onward towards Redmane Castle. There were hundreds, each having heard the call to battle. He didn't know what compelled them, but something told him that this wasn't an unusual occurrence. Below, some had spotted him, but made no moves to attack.

It had been a long time since Talos had seen such a mass of soldiers. Not since the days of Boletaria's wars with the demons had he seen such a gathering. He remembered it, those memories having been scored into his memory. One amongst many, pike in hand and sword on his hip, shoulder to shoulder with his brothers-in-arms, with only the barest of armour to protect him. Then, he was a mounted knight, bedecked in full plate with a lance, charging into the hordes of terror in a mass cavalry charge. The glory of it all. The rush. The sensation of encroaching doom with nothing but his courage and the men at his back. This sight brought a rush of nostalgia, and he found himself smiling despite the circumstances.

Together, he and Torrent raced across Caelid until they reached the gates of Redmane Castle. He dismounted and joined the throngs of warriors already making their way inside. They paid him no mind, their countenances grim and focused. Many who were already there were chatting amongst themselves, laughing and joking. Even though everyone knew what they were going to do, there was a certain levity in the air, when one might expect fear or grim resolve. And yet, it was more akin to a festival or celebration. Warriors of different lands and different banners mingled and talked like they were old friends.

Over the courtyard, weapons and shields hung suspended on ropes like bunting. Ahead, he spotted several figures that differed from the rest as they made their way into the castle proper

''Blaidd!'' Talos called out, and the massive wolf-man's ears perked up. As he looked up from the fire he stood by, Alexander's rotund form also turned. Blaidd gave his equivalent of a smile and waved him over. Talos broke from the stream of warriors and headed towards his one-time companions.

''Well, I should've guessed you'd show up. I'd be more surprised if you didn't,'' Blaidd clapped him on the shoulder.

''It's good to see you, my friend,'' Alexander said cheerily, ''truly, an event such as this was sure to be a beacon to a contender such as you. To fight against General Radahn, the mightiest Demigod of the Shattering... why, it sets me aflutter just thinking about it.''

''It is good to see you both. Keeping well, I trust,'' Talos said.

''Well as can be, I suppose,'' Blaidd replied, ''Alexander and I went on an excursion to the city down below, looking for the city of Nokron. Lady Ranni asked we look for an artifact of interest to her, but we couldn't find a way to get there. So we came here instead.''