Chapter 11 - Silver Blood. The Sorceress. The Queen Manifest

''You've returned,'' Moongrum's voice rumbled through his helmet as he acknowledged the man before him. The Carian Knight's tilted up and his eyes wandered over the burned and bloodied form of Talos. His cloak was in tatters and his plate was warped beyond use. Though blood had dried in dark streaks on Talos' skin, Moongrum noted that he seemed absent of injuries. ''It's done, then?''

''It is. General Radahn is at peace and his Great Rune is mine. I have come to deliver the news,'' Talos said. While Talos was a mess to look at, he noted that Moongrum's regalia wasn't spotless either. Splashes of blood painted his gauntlets and dotted darkly on his dark-blue finery.

''I see,'' Moongrum said, ''well, go inside. My queen knows the stars move again. She knows what that entails. But she will want to hear it from your lips. Do not keep her waiting.'' There was nothing left to say after that. Moongrum was taciturn at the best of times, known for his vigilance even before The Shattering. He cared little for words, especially towards outsiders. It didn't matter what Talos had done, he wasn't of the household, and so warranted words only out of necessity. But, and Moongrum was hesitant to admit it, he was quietly grateful to the Tarnished. He had few words for him, but Talos had his respect.

''You seem as though you've been busy yourself,'' Talos said. Moongrum withheld a sigh. His words were meant to be a quick dismissal, not an invitation.

''Her Grace walks among us again. But traitors still lurk here. To ensure the queen's safety and the totality of her domain, I have been hunting them down. I admit, your efforts went far in quelling their numbers, but their extermination was never your goal. I am merely finishing what you began.'' Moongrum had been invigorated since Rennala returned to proper form. She gave him full leave to persecute a total purge of all traitor elements within and around Raya Lucaria. He'd spent days hunting and slaying, leaving the walls of the academy and into the sunken town outside to continue the slaughter there. They died by the score, cut down with sword and sorcery, unprepared for the might of the last Knight of Caria.

''I had noticed a distinct lack of glintstone being sent my way. You've my thanks for your thoroughness,'' Talos said. Moongrum grunted.

''If we're done, then I must continue my hunt. On your way, Tarnished,'' Moongrum walked away, effectively killing the conversation. Talos paid it no mind and continued onward, but stopped short. He turned just in time to catch something. He felt its weight in his hands and turned it over. Talos smiled.

''I called in a favour from Iji. Try not to break it again,'' Moongrum spoke before leaving with out further word. Talos put his newly repaired helmet in the crook of his elbow and continued walking.

His footsteps echoed throughout the grand library, signalling the Sweetings to scatter away fearfully. It had been a source of curiosity the first time he'd been here, and that remained the case. In all the time he'd spent in the Lands Between, only they fled from him on sight. What was it they saw, he wondered. Could they see something no others did? It could be possible that in their infantile minds, they perceived what he was hiding. Where others saw a man, perhaps they saw a monstrous god, whose form was a thing wrought of nightmares. He wished he could ask them, really. Despite being what he was, he'd never so much as seen what shape he took. But then, what would he do with that knowledge? He decided it was best not to contemplate it. Talos had no intention of relinquishing his human form.

The massive chamber was a lot tidier now. Where there had been stacks upon stacks of books strewn about the floor, there were smaller piles tucked near the bookshelves, all in alphabetical order. Tidier though it may have been, Talos couldn't shake the impression that this was merely spreading the mess out to make it less cluttered. Rennala stood organising the shelves. Her face was serene, and her conical hat had been discarded in favour of letting her night-black hair cascade down her back. Long, elegant fingers tapped at book spines as she read the names, checking the order and sorting the books that were out of sequence. She heard his footfalls and looked toward Talos, gracing him with a reserved smile. However, her eyes gave her away. Talos' return meant her son was dead.