See you soon, mi amor

"Mary Jo? Mary Jo?!" The old man frantically called out. His heart pounded as old eyes searched over the land. 

Bones that were once young and strong now creak and groan as he tries to move, forgetting his old age. To him, the flowers still bloom in full, and his horse is still prancing at the fence. 

But what was once lush and green is now dried and dying. The grass is no longer soft beneath his feet, but hard and bristly. Jack Frost was starting to poke and prod at the old man's nose and ears, as frost danced over the leaves. 

The wind played with the now frail branches, pushing back and forth. Autumn leaves twirled and spun as they fell, putting on one final show for the old man. 

"Mary Jo!!" The man called again, wrinkled fingers reaching out to steady himself against the unforgiving wind. 

Finally, his foot caught a fallen branch, forcing old bones to bend as he fell. His body trembled as he laid, salty and hot tears dripping off his cheeks. 

"Mary Jo..." He whispered, a soft whimper of tears falling from his lips. He knew his end was coming. He... he could just feel it in his bones. But he couldn't go without her. 

Frantically, the senior tried to get back up to his feet. But a hand gently pushed him back. "I'm here, my love..." a soothing voice whispered over the wind. "Rest..." 

He complied. He was far too tired, anyways, and it took too much effort to try and get back up. So, with a soft breath, he laid his head down, frozen dirt holding his head up. 

"I'm here, it's alright, James..." the feminine voice whispered. In the clouds, he could make out the faint shape of a face. A hand touched his face, gently shutting his eyes. 

"I'll see you soon, mi amor..." the touch slowly lightened, until it disappeared entirely. And when it did, the man fell into darkness, a smile on his face. 

He looked forward to seeing his wife again; it'd been far too long since she died.