check-up

[ mics pov ]

   microphone winced as the filtered sunlight spilled through her blinds, she rolled over on her bed, facing away from the window in hopes of being able to fall back asleep. she lay there, with her eyes shut, motionless.

   that is, until she heard a knock on her door.

   mic didn't typically lock her door, she had no real reason to. she didn't have anything to hide, and found it pointless. she sighed, giving up on any hopes of being able to sleep for a few more hours, and called out a weak "who is it?"

   "hey mic! it's soap!" soap called to mic through the shut door, in her usual sing-song and chipper voice. 

   soap usually came around to check on mic, it wasn't uncommon for her to swing by, scold mic for leaving her room a mess, or drop off some food that she made or grabbed when oj had something delivered. soap had become increasingly worried for mic though, because things hadn't gotten any better.

   mic paused for a while, sighing, and forcing herself to sit up on her bed. she cleared her throat, "oh, hey soap, feel free to come in!" she spoke loudly toward the door.

   soap creaked the door open, cautiously. she walked inside mics hotel room, looking around to see that it still hadn't been cleaned. she looked up at mic, a look of sympathy apparent in her eyes. the look she gave mic always made her feel guilty, she hated that soap worried so much about her, when she had much better things to do with her time.

   "so . . are you hungry? thirsty. . ? anything?" soap asked, meekly looking around. she didn't know what else to say to mic, that much was obvious.

   mic frowned, the only reason soap always came to her room was to check up on her. mic blinked for a bit, fidgeting with her hands. she spoke softly, guilt dragged in her words. "you know, you . . don't always have to come and check on me. i'm not your responsibility," mic awkwardly replied, trying to avoid eye contact with soap.

   soap looked away, casting her gaze to the floor, "that's-- not it, and really, i don't mind, y'know?" she said, insistently.

   mic looked at soap, she was obviously lying. soaps concern for mic was apparent, and if not for it, it's unlikely soap would be trying to get so close to her. she rubbed her eyes, looking at her phone, that had received a notification she wasn't really wanting to bother with at the time. she knew it'd have to come eventually, but . . not now,

   soap followed her gaze, "so  . . have you been up to anything? liike . . texting anyone in specific? maybe a new friend?" soap asked, smiling encouragingly at mic.

   mic looked back to soap with a glare that made it obvious that wasn't the case. being reminded of it made mics expression to change, making it obvious that she was upset. she fought tears from flooding her eyes. soaps smile dropped, and she fidgetted with her shirt.

   "assuming that's a no, then . ." she said, defeated.

   mic looked at her, "yeah," she said with a sniffle, "d-- definitely a nno," 

   ". . .," soap looked at mic, who was avoiding her gaze. she blinked, the room was silent, and awkward. this was how their short-lasting conversations usually went. soap could never really get mic to open up, and usually ended up just giving in and leaving.

   "just . ." mic broke the silence, biting her tongue. ". . don't bother with me, you have better things to do than to look after me like i'm your burden. really, i'll survive on my own," mic said, looking back up to meet gaze with eyes that pathetically attempted to hide an immense pain behind a weak smile.

   soap decided against pushing mic any further, seeing she was obviously fragile. "hey, it's okay. just know that i'm always here when you need me, got it?" soap said, attempting to lift the mood with a cheery smile, hoping it would make mic a bit more relieved.

   soap then waved to mic, "i'm going downstairs to clean a bit more, the living room is always left a mess once pickle is done gaming. he seriously needs to learn to clean up after himself," she said, filling the air with meaningless chatter, "just . . give me a ring if you need anything, yeah?" 

   mic looked at her, slightly relieved that she wouldn't try to push her anymore about the topic. mic gave her a sad smile, and a small wave,

   "yeah, sure, bye soap," she called out as soap left her room, leaving her alone.